1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever been to Death Valley, CA.?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I always wanted to go there.....very bizarre place! If you get to Az go to the Petrified Forest, THE most bizarre place I have ever seen! Felt like you were on the moon! That "petrified" log in the middle is about 18" in Diameter.
    [​IMG]

2. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Nice pictures. Thanks

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Great pictures. The kids are really cute! Fred

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Many times. Pretty easy to see how the area got it's name. Furnace Creek is a nice place to stay, you can get ice cold beer there. Summer is brutally hot but early spring is pretty nice. If you didn't check out the kilns on the Panamint side be sure to do that next trip.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Top Single DT10, thank you for sharing your pictures, cute little girls you have.

Although I live in Los Angeles, never been to D.V., this is the first time I see pictures of it. Very interesting. Thank you.

6. zap

zap TS Member

YES, BACK IN THE 60'S I RODE WHAT THEN WAS CALLED THE DEATH VALLEY RIDE ON MY MOTOR CYCLE ALONG WITH TWO FRIENDS. WE WERE IN SHORTS ON THE BIOKES DURING THE DAY AND SLEPT IN THE DESERT AT NIGHT AND FROZE OUR BUTTS OFF, AMAZING HOW MUCH THE TEMP CAN CHANGE DURING A 24 HOUR PERIOD.WE MADE THE RIDE AND GOT OUR BADGES ETC BUT IT WAS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.

7. Loyac

Loyac Member

I've heard that the highest and lowest points in the continental USA are both in California and within miles of each other... Death Valley and Mt. Whitney. Haven't visited the desert yet but I did hike the mountain. Beautiful girls John. Haven't seen you at Oaktree lately. Regards... John

8. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

I drove through there with a hangover in July 1985 in a van with no AC. Now that's misery.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Beautiful kids, beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. wireguy

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nice place for a trap range.... ;-)

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Somebody mentioned Mauna Kea...where else can you be freezing your ass off on top of it at noontime...then in a couple hours, drive 14,000 feet down to sea level and be watching molten lava flowing into the ocean?

Love it.

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i have been in baker {the entance to death valley} many,many times when it is still 110 in the middle of the night. also been in baker many times when it is in the 20,s late at night. & it is very cold when in the 20,s at nite in baker especially if there is a strong wind. dwain

13. warren

warren Member

Bakers sewer pond is located right next to the freeway and the whole town smells like a sewer to me ugh.

warren

14. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

john. i live out in the middle of a cornfield here in s e iowa. trust me it is much nicer at 103 at seven in the evening in baker than it would be here . i remember seeing you ar redlands in 07 & 08 when i spent a great deal of time in so. calif. i spent a great deal of time in so. calif over the last 30 plus years. but never shot from 1980 til 06. i meant many nice people at redlands & shot 2 or 3 times with tri county plus several registered shoots at redlands. i don,t get out that way anymore .i have many friends in the corona-norco fontana san bernardino areas. hopefully i will get back out there. shoot well. dwain

15. DJM

DJM Member

We were ther some years ago on the first week of April and it was downright pleasant weather. Badwater basin in your photo was a huge lake at the time, probably no more than a foot deep. It happens after the spring runoff but does not last long. I highly recommend seeing Death Valley as well. We took advantage of the many air charters to Las Vegas and affordable car rental rates to tour the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.