1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

event maths is NOT rocket surgery ... (Grand & CC)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

CC apologists and cheerleaders are entitled to their own opinions, suppositions and hopes & dreams, BUT, please, use common FACTS.

Personally, I think the $3 yardbird dinner was the reason 94 more bodies showed up at Marengo.

Have fun and interpret away ... (data from RJS, of course)

Bob
    goatskin_2009_24061.jpg

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bob,

Its awful early in the season for ice fishing....................<`)))>-<

3. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Good post, Bob. The state demographics are very interesting also. Kudos to you and R.J. Stuart.

GAP

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Thanks, GAP, Cardinal is a nice, well-run, competently-organised BIG 'local' shoot held at a fine facility in an excellent shooting area with fairly straightforward logistics and a compact schedule.

I started to hash state's participation for both shoots and see where (especially) the flow for the Grand differed from 2010, but I'm not going to re-type data. If RJS had a way to d/l into a c-s or t-s file, it would be interesting.

One thing that DID strike me, however, was the participation of Ontario shooters at CC: 30 in 2010, 46 in 2011.

The Grand is The Grand, and there is just no valid way to compare the two.

You can also tell that the economy was biting people, as prelim numbers were off at the Grand, and WAY-off at Cardinal: people controlling days and expenses.

Bob

5. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

The numbers are always down at CC on prelim days. I could be the shooters coming east from sparta don't drive fast. As for the YARDBIRD that money goes to the kids shooting. The profit from Karen's Kitchen on the grounds (own by the FISHBURN FAMILY ) goes to MR. FISHBURN'S CHURCH. For the 2010 state shoot dinner my son donated 45 watermelons for the shooters. That's why sometimes CC has an extra 94 shooters. Now if MR. FISHBURN would give away $200,000 CC could get maybe 100 extra shooters or 101.

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The Grand is the grand, and both are great shoots with lots of room for expansion if needed. The state demographics show how regional both shoots truly are, with states like Illinois and Wisconsin having a large presence at the Grand, and the Cardinal revolving around Ohio. NY, PA and MD basically stayed home, showing the economy is bad, or no way to justify the weeks off work. The combined effect of the economy and Grand's added money seemingly brought more people in from near locations than from afar, and also increased entries/body ratio.

I would guess a high percentage of participants are within a six hour drive. This would be expected at a state or regional event. Regards, GAP

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

hf ... there was no slam intended abt the shooter's appreciation dinner. It's a good thing, and the Fishburn clan are heroes and friends to trapshooting, ok?And your son deserved kudoes for giving back. When I go to those kind of 'appreciation/fundraising' dinners, I leave an extra $20 in the jar. I think most people do, too: paying it forward is a good thing, and St. Peter likes it, I hope.

That said, days shot and # of events are highly influenced by available time & finances ('the economy'), and year-on-year, CC's Tuesday was substantially lower than 2010's. I think the (less popular) doubles marathon was a tipping point AWAY from more prelim shooters, but that is a supposition.

GAP, you're tantalizing me to re-type and crunch numbers, aren't you? Yeah, ALL shoots have a substantial 'regional' character to them. There is obviously a lot more hurt feelings, angst, projection, displacement ... with the OH/PA about The Grand than there really should be, but there IS the regional thing, and with Cardinal Center and the (somewhat tacky) timing of their shoot, they surely have a world-class place and with more shade, and subsidized dinners, too. It's brilliant marketing, and an absolute good for shooting, and may the Cardinal grow & prosper even more.

I suspect the historical numbers for The Grand (even the old Grand) will always show that the number of events shot/entrant are higher than at 'other shoots', including big ones, like the Dollar, and Tuscon, etc.

You betcha the Martin money elevated the per-person participation, but 'The Grand' will always be 'the grand', and if you schedule your year around it - you go there to shoot & shoot some more while you're there.

Just 'observing', it is a lot harder to be a day-tripper to The Grand, now, than opposed to Vandalia, and there are a LOT of shooters within a few hours drive of Marengo.

Bob

8. Donm

Donm Active Member

Who cares how many people got classified so they could get a pin? All we care about is the number of entries and the number of targets thrown.

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

LOL...."rocket surgery"

I've a customer who can butcher old sayings all the time.

"Yup been alot of water under the dam since I was a kid."

"Punishment for crime should be like it says in the bible..."an eye tooth for an eye tooth."

Alan, are you going to the county fair?
    "No, too many people for me. I get that hydrophobie you know."

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

One thing about those OHIO shooters they love to travel! In their own state. Just look at how many come over to Mason.

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rocket surgery??? Brain Science????

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bill, I would go to Mason, but theres always so many Yoopers there, and that "Beaver Reseach" team is a little strange. I feel like I have to lock my car.

Your statement kind of floors me cause I see a lot of Ohio shooters there. I go every chance I get. Do you know what the percentage of shooters from Ohio is? Just asking, cause I don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.