1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Even the best trapshooters miss grouse

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ned408, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ned408

ned408 Member

On a recent grouse hunting trip in Northern Wisconsin, I witnessed something I thought you all would get a kick out of. I was on the right, in the thickest batch of tag alders one can imagine...Nora was on the left in a wide open hay field. The young setter slammed on a stylish point, and I half circled to flush the bird. All went perfect, the grouse flushed left, flew directly in front of Nora, and she missed it all three shots. So there...even the best shooters miss grouse, in the wide open field.

P.S. Don't tell her I wrote this.
    Randy Ross

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Uh-ooooooh, hope you have a big couch Randy, lol.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

No, he's sleeping with the setter. Randy what were you thinking of anyway?? A fine setter should only be followed by a petite side by side. Enjoy, that sure beats shooting clays any day.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Grouse are hard to hit

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Good thing that Grouse never heared of Nora!

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Not nice to tell stories like that!

Nice to know that it happens to the best just like the rest. I'll bet it doesn't happen very often though.

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

At least that pretty little setter did her job. I wonder where that pup came from? They were right, you should only shoot grouse with a double gun. Gerry Addison

8. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I am not a bit surprised, Grouse have an extra speed gear that most trapshooters
    have never seen.

Terry.

9. ned408

ned408 Member

You should have seen it Gerry, you probably know the exact spot where it happened. Anyway...going after grouse this week in Vermont, and we'll probably have some more stories for you. Till then,
    Randy Ross

10. ned408

ned408 Member

You should have seen it Gerry, you probably know the exact spot where it happened. Anyway...going after grouse this week in Vermont, and we'll probably have some more stories for you. Till then,
    Randy Ross

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I saw a pictorial in a magazine years back that framed a ruffed grouse from take-off to full speed! After the grouse had gone 4 feet, it was moving at 60 MPH!!!!

Missing a grouse is easier than hitting one in rough coverts! Killing brush is so simple to do as you see the limbs fall at the shots in the rough areas we hunted in southeastern Ohio and WV!! I recall my setter pointing two grouse at the same time in a viney covered flat. She would ever so slowly move her eyes from one to the other so I was counting on getting a double, or at least one! I'd had to walk between two grape vines to get into the best shooting position when they both flushed at the same time, one to the right and the other left. Problem was, I couldn't swing my barrel either way to make either shot because of those danged grape vines, I couldn't push either out far enough to make a shot!! I didn't even get my gun off! My setter gave me a look of disbelief you had to see to appreciate!! A little farther out that same hollow, Candy was on a bench above me while I was strolling along a haul road. She came down a steep bank and slid into a point in front of me on the old road! The rooster made the mistake of using the road for his escape route and I had a clear shot and harvested him. It was a perfect scenario for the shot and retrieve! Oh the memories of chasing the woods rockets, I love chasing them around the hills!!

Hap AKA Da Fezuntreaper?

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Join Hank at the link.

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmm.........Maybe Nora does need to open both eyes........lol

Hauxfan!

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hauxfan, sometimes you wonder if you had them open, closed or Lord knows what. There's nothing that makes you madder at yourself when you've missed a decent shot at them.

Hap, we don't get a lot of grapevines up here but a few years ago I shot three sapplings in half in one week in thick alders and brush. You talking about the 2 birds reminds me of Alder, deceased this past Spring, frozen on a woodcock his head angled slighty to the right, when the bird flushed and was shot he never moved, just picked up his head and slammed it down to the left. I said "There's a second one Randy" just as it flew. He was a fun dog, great guy, head low on woodcock and nose up for Grouse. Great times and memories.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've never even seen a real live wild grouse.

16. razor

razor TS Member

randy, our biggiest grouse hunting year was 1979 with 106 total alotta shells shot that year. all down from there. glad to here some are back in northern wis. we had some prime area's back then. what a blast!!!! razor

17. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I still have the memories of walking thru the trees on the top of a mountain to get to the ranch for some help to drag out the 5 point...(that's 10 for your Easterners) LOL. It was cloudy that day and the air calm. Quiet as a mouse as the poem goes. When that Bue comes out from under your feet it really gets the heart a pumping. LOL I watched where he landed and added him to the pack on my back.

Great memories......

Rick in Mt.

18. philk

philk Member

Top speed of ruffs is about 20 MPH. Tell her to hollar pull just before they flush. Those birds can, on occasion, have a way of making you look like a fool. Happens to me alot.

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I sure do miss Grouse hunting in New England, nothing better. JRM

20. Erik W

Erik W Member

Hope you enjoyed this, because I bet she never hunts with you again. I would not. Not my idea of hunting with friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.