1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eurotrash Reload Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 87AA, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Because they are so abundant, I have started loading various cheap European hulls (fiocchi, clever, ect). I load on a MEC Sizemaster with established data from either Alliant or Hodgdon.

My problem is that the reloads fit tight in the barrel. The head of the shells are not perfectly round and this seems to create a tight fit. I have figured out that if I run the shell through the final crimp stage 4 or 5 times (spinning it slightly between each downstroke) the head rounds out nice and slides into the barrel like a factory load. I have adjusted the crimp starter and final crimp every which way but can't seem to overcome this problem.

Any suggestions? Besides s**t-canning my 20,000 eurotrash hulls.

Typical load data: 7/8 oz, 19 gn Red Dot, 12SO

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

How old is your loader and/or have you cleaned all the crut out of the die in a while?

The final crimp die usually produces a pretty sweet, round, tapered crimp, but it is also a consumable 'wear' item, and it sounds like yours has all the goodie used up or has a pretty good build-up of crap.

Bob

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You are looking for a shot shell resizer -

MEC makes one.

I've included a link to give you a photo at least.

One extra step and you are good to go. I suspect that the shells (made to metric standard) are a bit 'off' (think primer issues...). By resizing the base you should 'pull' the rest of the hull back into shape... Or not.

Got kids?? Great activity for kids (even little guys) to help out with the re-loading.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The Sizemaster has the same collet-re-sizer the SuperSizer has - and both resize the base, only - but he's talking about the plastic, especially around the nose ... I think.

Bob

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

FIXED!!!

In the end I went to source that has taught me life, car, and shooting related lessons for the past 38 years.......my father!

The solution was to use a factory shells as a guide to figure out how much resistance was felt in the final crimp stage then adjust from there. I'm now pumping out factory replica shells.

THANKS DAD

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I prefer to load Eurotrash hulls, but won't say why. LOL

(they load very closely to Fed GM hulls, but don't tell anyone) :^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.