1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe driven pheasant shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Any one gone on a classic driven Pheasant shoot in Europe? What countries are good for this? What type of guns they using? Allways wanted to do that. I noticed that alot of English shotguns are side by side. Is this still true? Thanks

2. smsnyder

OUCH that's expensive. Thanks for the info. How about driven Tweety birds. LOL

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I went on my first Driven Pheasant hunt during a visit to Scotland in '93, as an added bonus opportunity to an SCI fly-fishing trip. I just looked for the Purveyor, but they are no longer in business, too bad. The entire 5-day trip with fishing, hunt and airfare was just over $4K, but I spent more than any of the other guys I went with. You only go around once.........

Anyway, back then the cost of the driven bird hunt portion of the trip was about $750 by the time we rented a SxS 12 bore (Spanish, I believe) and purchased shells. There were 10 of us, mostly US tourists, stationed 50+ yards apart against a hillside. 200 birds were driven at, and over us, from the top of the hill. We shot a round of releases and then moved down the line until all the birds had been released. It was a very enticing day, so much so, that it actually got me back into hunting and into serious shotgunning.

I've been on a number of Driven/Tower shoots here in the USA since then. They are available at many of the hunting clubs/pheasant farms all over the Midwest and Central Atlantic states. They are run a bit different, without the fanfare of Scotland, but they are just as much fun and usually cheaper.

I took my two grandson's on their first Tower Shoot in November, in Michigan, near their home, and we're planning another for early Spring. The cost is about $250@ for 10 or 15 birds shot at after being launched from a Tower (hence the name) and a walk-up to recover cripples and get-aways afterward.

I only go to farms that provide dogs and handlers for pick-ups and I know are registered with excellent references. It takes a little time to do the research, but it's always worth it. The good outfitters will clean and prep your birds, and provide lunch while you wait for them.

If you think you might be interested, I'd start with a local hunt.

IME,
    Kip

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Try Show Me Birds in Baxter Springs KS.

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

DB,

You peeked my interest with your comment on Show-me. I've attached their video advertisement here. It's a bit too untamed for my taste too, but, it's in the style of some Tower shoots I've attended. Thanks for the point.

Kip

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

At most of the clubs in our area, we hunt the birds that were not killed in the intial tower shoot. If you own a bird dog, you get to work your dog too. Sometimes your dog can get on quite a few birds. The last one we shot was at Elkhorn Lake near Bucyrus, Ohio. 10 birds per station, 10 stations, 1 round of sporting clays prior to the shoot, hot lunch, birds cleaned, hunt left over birds after lunch...$189/shooter.

7. smsnyder

Roxtons looks like a first class operation.Thanks

8. smsnyder

http://showmebirds.com/european-shoot

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The driven bird shooting in the UK ends this weekend. Today or tomorrow will be 'beaters day' (the beaters are invited to shoot as a thank you for the work they've done over the season).

If you know where to look/go you can find a day of shooting for 500 pounds or less (500 pounds is about $850 today).

I can put you directly in touch with a game keeper who can 'point' you in the right direction...

Just back from a week of deer hunting with him - took 7 deer in as many days (all sent to an abattoir). Herd maintenance culling.

If you want more info, drop me an e-mail (drop the X's)

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pheasant drive shoot in europe