1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ettiqute question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I'm on position 5 the squad leader likes to close his action before the 4th shooter is mounting his own gun and most but not everytime has his gun half way brought up (like the semi-ready position for sporting cays) while I'm shooting.

Even with blinders I would either see his barrel during my mount and/or he will be bringing it up while I'm moving to shoot at right sided target.

I felt this was really wrong. But i kept my mouth shut cause it was a member to a club that I'm trying to get into so I didn't want to cause any waves.

But still having your gun that high up before I even had my turn???

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

As long as its safe, and doesn't violate ATA (which it doesn't) or club rules, he's fine, and you'll likely be met with heavy resistance and possibly choice language if you suggest he modify his routine to suit your desires. Either start a post or 2 away from him, or shoot on a different squad.

3. open choke

open choke TS Member

Never happened before to me , that's why I asked.

I will make sure I done squad with him in the future. I shoot with 2 or 3 of my friends anyway so usually there are 1 or 2 other guys who we squad with so that helps to not get squadded again with him. I guess it was just bad luck that day

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have to disagree, the action should not be closed with a live round untill it's your turn to shoot.

Wayne

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Open. 2 things. 1) you really need to learn to tune these things out and 2) If the guy is really being a jerk Ask him to stay put till it is his time to shoot. But we deal with this stuff all the time in trap.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's not unusual for him to have the gun partially raised, but it should not be moving (in your field of view) while you are calling for, or moving on the target. Technically, it IS a violation of ATA rules if he is disturbing you in this fashion. Take the other parts of Skeetman's post into advisement though. A distraction to one may not be seen that way by others, and even if you are in the right, you could end up losing in the overall considering other peoples' opinions.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've had some that start so early they could shoot my target for me. One of these days I think I'll let them. Probably get a better score. ;-)

It gets better when you shoot handicap. The further back you get, the less of your neighbor you'll see (incentive to get to the back fence).

Shot doubles with a big name once down at Linn Creek. He would have his gun completely mounted while I was going for the right-hand target. When we finished I apologized to him for being a slow shooter. His reply was, "I see 'em. I shoot 'em." Huh?

I'm not sure there's a solution. One of my buddies shoots like that. Whenever someone gets on him about it, he gets really torqued off about it.

It's going to be a luck thing. Try to tune it out, enjoy post 5s, chuckle every time you get a broken target (and they have start over), and bring it up on TS.com every once in awhile because it needs discussion. Good luck.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

870 is correct - disturbing another shooter os a no-no. I have found that a raised gun in the hands of another shooter is no big deal, but the movement of arms and barrels is. You have the right to shoot unmolested.

Best way to deal with it is this. With each time he does it, lower your gun, open the action, and start your whole shooting process once again. He is left there holding his gun at arms length for a good long time.

This way you are not confronting him, but you are sending the message that he is disturbing you. If he doesn't get it at least his arms will get tired.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

ATA Rule Book, Section IV, I, 14:

"14. A contestant may hold his/her gun in any position when it is his/her turn to shoot. The contestant must in no manner interfere with the preceding shooter by raising his/her gun to point or otherwise create an observable distraction."

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks guys I knew this was a bunch of BS.

HSLDS... I thought of that but then it would put me out of my groove and my make my lose my concentration which to me was not worth it

11. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

If you aren't willing to confront the man or do what HSLDS suggests then live with it.

BB

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Most etiquette concerns are covered in the ATA rulebook.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Just think of it as "no bird." For that you should start you whole process over anyway.

I suspect it should only be one or two rounds before it sinks in.

14. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I would simply start by nicely asking him if he could refrain from raising his gun as it does distract you he may be accommodating. If not then avoid squading with him.

Just my .02

John MI

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Two words....Bigger blinders

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It really gets distracting when you shoot 6 man teams in league. When in station four and the guy using this type of pre-routine is in five, you get a hard right target you damn near touch barrels on the follow through. But like Jack, and others have said, you have to block that out. Jon

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per V10s rule book post, if it disturbs you politely mention it, HSLDS also has an EXCELLENT suggestion. Ross Puls

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I some what do the same thing. Only one time did someone ask me to stop. I did and it wasn't a big deal. I never mounted the gun but had the gun up to a point where the barrel was up in the air closed. Then once the person shot raised the gun to my shoulder.

As for it bothering you, get use to it. You should know by now trap shooting is a mind game. If I can get in your head by doing something I win. If I can get in your head by saying something I win. Don't let things get to you. Learn to feed it back to those who are trying to bother you.

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ask nicely first. If that doesn't work shoot the ground in front of you a few times when he moves the gun...(Avoid the wires...) and tell him his gun movement makes you pull the trigger... Either he will stop or quit the squad. Bob

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I in turn disagree with Wayne on a subject that has been
    discussed here many times. There is absolutely nothing
    wrong with having your gun closed on a live round before
    it is your turn to shoot. The use of voice actuated target
    releases like the Canterbury has made this necessary -not optional
    if you shoot an automatic.

I time the closing of the bolt to co-incide with the shot fired
    by the shooter a few posts away so as not to set off a target.