1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Was shooting today. The person on the post to my right was closing their gun prior to me calling for a target & his gun was held in a rather high ready position. I was able to see the gun on all my right hand targets. Would I have been correct if I asked him not to close his gun and hold it the way he did until I finished my shot.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

No, he was doing nothing wrong. Concentrate on your bird, not your neighbor. Maybe blinders would help. Mark

3. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Phil,

I would have said something like, Sir if you wish to close your Gun and shoot before me you should be standing to my left not my right, until that changes it is MY turn first then yours.

If he continue's to be an ass I would certainly say more in between 25's.

Here is Australia it is against our rules for any shooter to close their gun unless they are the one that is shooting that target.(all guns open at all times unless the you are the designated shooter)

I have shot in the USA many many times and generally dismounting your gun prior to shooting and a very positive stare can get the message across but I would only ever do it if I know my ruling to be correct.

regards,

Release Trigger

4. Oregunner

Next, the Australians will be telling us that we drive on the wrong side of the road. Many shooters close their gun two stations before it's their turn, at least here in the good old USofA. Don't assume he is being an ass. Mark

5. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Mark,

I was not trying tell you the rules in the USA, I just know for some years in the ATA has been pushing the "Keep it open and keep it safe" line.

I know that many many shooters in the USA close their guns as soon as they load, I did state I would only object if I knew the ruling to be correct and as I have not shot in the USA for approx 18 months I was not sure if it had been made a rule or not.

I personely do not like it as I interperet the word Etiquette to be just that I would not move or mount my gun whilst the shooter on my left is addressing his target, but then again that is just me.

And if it is any consolation I much prefer the ATA way of shooting Trap than ours Downunder, that is why I have spent countless thousands of dollars and flown probably 300,000 miles doing so, I also have some 50,000 combined ATA targets to my count list.

And yes you do drive on the wrong side of the road, in 1996 the first year I started travelling to the USA and shooting ATA, the driving was the hardest thing to get used to not the ATA rules. I have been over 96-97-98-99-2000-01-02-03-04-06-08-09-10-11 and God willing the 2013 grand and Cardinal Classic and still have not put a scratch on a rental, more good luck than good management.

Yours in Sport, Release Trigger....Aka. Gary Kennerson 96 05145

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

ATA Rule Book - Section I - Safety

14. A contestant may hold his/her gun in any position when it is his/her
    turn to shoot. The contestant must in no manner interfere with the
    preceding shooter by raising his/her gun to point or otherwise create
    an observable distraction.

If he was raising the gun to the point where it distracted you, he was breaking the rules and you could have asked him to stop.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Phil, I have had that happen to me and I have politely said somethiong to the effect that is throwing me off my game could you please wait until I shoot before you mount your gun. Bulge.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...and a very positive stare can get the message across..."</I></blockquote>...only if the person you were staring at cared (was aware) that you were doing it. I use side shields for that reason. Focus on what you're about and ignore the people around you; in other words, quit looking for excuses for misses.

Keller

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

jhoward

Thank you for posting the rule. It helps me knowing thetre is a rule that would help when this come up.

Jim B.

10. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Keller,

At my age and the years I have been shooting misses do not mean a lot to me any more, its just about competing that matters to me, after 5 knee replacements, 1 x Ankle replacement, 2 x Total shoulder replacements and Cancer and a wife that has had 2 major heart surgeries in the last 8 years as well as my best Trapshooting buddy now fighting throat Cancer missing a target is the last of my worries.

I repeat competing and being upright is all that matters to me, I do not have my past abilities any more but do still have the drive to compete, if I shoot a 91 or run the 100 its just about being there.

I have made countless wonderful friends in my years travelling to your great country and they mean more to me than any 100 or even 200 straight that I have shot.

Regards,

Gary.

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Is there a rule covering conduct of observers who form the "peanut gallery" behind the shooters who sometimes catcall the shooters or otherwise distract them?

12. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I am not phazed by the shooter next to me, my mind is on the target.You know what gets my goat is when people start walking off the line before I'm done with my last shot. oscar

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

To me thats fine. If it bothers you then wait till he closes his gun and positions it. You then mount your gun and shoot. That doesn't bother me at all. Its when they mount thier gun to their shoulder that I have a problem with. Relax and enjoy your shoot.

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm like 635G, I do wear side shields but still see "some" things to my right, (must be the way I stand). Anyway thanks to jhoward for posting the rule. Ross Puls

15. Oregunner

He was closing his gun early and holding it in a ready position. Nothing that I can see, he is doing that breaks the safety rule quoted. He was not raising his gun to point, and as far as an observable distraction, that is debatable. I would have to watch it for a few times, to see who had the issue, the shooter who was getting distracted, or if the next shooter was doing something out of the norm to be a distraction. This is supposed to be fun, right? Mark

16. running bear

running bear Member

I was the scorer and Phil told me about it after the 3rd round and I asked the shooter to please not close his gun until PHil had shot and he do so on the last line.

Buck

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Was shooting today. The person on the post to my right was closing their gun prior to me calling for a target & his gun was held in a rather high ready position. I was able to see the gun on all my right hand targets. Would I have been correct if I asked him not to close his gun and hold it the way he did until I finished my shot.

Phil Berkowitz

18. Oregunner

No, he was doing nothing wrong. Concentrate on your bird, not your neighbor. Maybe blinders would help. Mark

19. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Phil,

I would have said something like, Sir if you wish to close your Gun and shoot before me you should be standing to my left not my right, until that changes it is MY turn first then yours.

If he continue's to be an ass I would certainly say more in between 25's.

Here is Australia it is against our rules for any shooter to close their gun unless they are the one that is shooting that target.(all guns open at all times unless the you are the designated shooter)

I have shot in the USA many many times and generally dismounting your gun prior to shooting and a very positive stare can get the message across but I would only ever do it if I know my ruling to be correct.

regards,

Release Trigger

20. Oregunner

Next, the Australians will be telling us that we drive on the wrong side of the road. Many shooters close their gun two stations before it's their turn, at least here in the good old USofA. Don't assume he is being an ass. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting etiquette and rules