1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette question...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Voolfie, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

When I started shooting trap as a boy in the late '70s, I was taught by the oldtimers to turn CLOCKWISE away from the post when I left post five. I was told that by doing it that way I wouldn't inadvertently point my muzzle at the individual at post four.

I've noticed that not many folks do it so I'm wondering if anyone else ever heard of this particular point of etiquette.

Cheers.

J.F. Wolfington
    Wilmington, DE

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the proper ettiquette after shooting Post 5. I also know which silverware to use when, but I don't jump on people shooting practice for not doing it, as they usually are new or casual shooters, and have enough to think about as it is. You can step back and turn left, pointing your gun up or down and not cause a safety issue. I'm more concerned with everyone being safe, then which way you dance. Once a person gets serious about shooting registered trap, I usually mention it to them, so they don't upset the older shooters. Mark

3. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Yes, and I try very hard to turn to my right side as I leave post 5.

Charlie

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Not pointing a firearm at another person is important, for sure.

But, I think, most shooters turn to the right to avoid their gun striking the gun coming towards them from Post 4.

Pat Ireland turned to the left, but took a big step back from Post 5 before he did that. I have seen others do the same thing.

I turn to the right as I save my hull and, since I am old and slow (maybe just slow) it takes a second or two to get my hull out, drop it in the pouch and then start to move. I can't tell you how many times I look up and see the shooter from Post 4 right by me. If I turned to the left, we'd collide.

When I am on 4, moving to 5, I just wait till the shooter on 5 starts to move, so I know what he/she is going to do.

No pointing, no colliding. No hurt guns, no angry shooters (at least at me).

I guess there's not a "correct" way to move from 5 to 1, but this works for me.

Bob

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

What erks me is when some shooters put their gun on their shoulder when walking from Station 5 to 1 or to the gun rack when finished. Almost like saying "Look what I can do"

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Why would putting your gun on your shoulder be a problem for anybody? The gun is open, and I carry mine muzzle forward so I can watch and not strike anyone or anything with the bbl. it just seems a little easier...? Bill

7. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Don't misunderstand me, so long as a shooter is safe, I couldn't care less how they make the turn, it's just that I wasn't sure if it was something that was specific to the time and place in which I grew up.

I hadn't thought about banging barrels - but that's a fair reason to turn away from the guy moving from four.

Once, at the old Pachmayr facility near L.A., I saw a guy go from five to one IN FRONT of the other shooters. Talk about raising the hair on the back of your neck!

JFW

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

IMHO you are absolutely correct! You should turn to the right comming off post five. It is safe, good etiquette and considerate of other shooters. But we live in a "me" world. Martinpicker

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I will not jump on shooters but I will imform them that its the proper way and that it should be done. I will also add that if someone else would see them doing that they will jump on you. Put alittle fear in them.

The reason I was given is you don't want to bang barrels together when turning.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I bet this is where the phrase "Get A Life" came from.

-Gary

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Where's the muzzle?"

Clockwise takes the guess work out of it.

Bob Falfa

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

We teach our kids to turn to the right when moving from 5 to 1. In the IA high school league that is the rule we have to follow. They have a lot of rules, I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but this one I do.

13. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

voolfie--Turning to the right, clockwise, when going from station 5 to station 1 is more than just etiquette. It's primarily a safety issue. Since the guy on station 5 has a 50/50 choice there is no reason to turn towards the shooter on station 4. It is inherently more dangerous than turning away. Keep in mind that safety rule #1 is don't point your barrel at anything you don't want to shoot. If you are using a break-action gun and turning left, most shooters will find themselves pointing at the #4 shooter's legs.

Of course there is also the issue of banging barrels or looking like an amateur Remember that looking like you know what you are doing is a big plus for everyone on the squad. .

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Turning to the right AUTOMATICALLY places the position #5 shooter behind the other members of the squad, avoids hitting barrels... and I think the sooner you remark to a new shooter (in a gentlemanly manner) the better a trapshooter they become...

Jay

15. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It's also good etiquette to not crowd the shooter leaving a post. Let them remove their empty shell, put it in their pouch or vest, gather their thoughts, listen for the scorer to call out the scores, and then move to the next post. Mark

16. hoov

hoov Member

NOW I WILL STIR THE POT. THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE MOVING OF THE VOICE RELEASE MIKE[PLEASE LEAVE MINE ALONE]I WILL HAVE TO MOVE IT ANYHOW.
    I AM A LEFT HANDED SHOOTER,ON POST 5 I STEP BACK AND TURN LEFT. ALWAYS HAVE ALWAYS WILL AND AFTER MANY YEARS OF SHOOTING I HAVE NOT HAD ANYONE QUESTION MY STYLE.HAVE AT IT FOLKS.EARL. [SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS]

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

This must be where the phrase "making a mountain out of a molehill" came from.

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

hoov beat me to the remark..southpaws unite! Keep stirring!

Big Jack

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It is not hard to tell which of our posters do not shoot ATA birds.

20. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I turn to the right, but my question is this, who the heck gets close enough to a fellow shooter to hit barrels? If you are close enough to me to hit barrels with me im going to have a problem with that because you are well within my personal space. This topic is actually a good one but the reasoning stinks. Safety is the only reason to turn right. I never leave my post until the shooter to my right has cleared the next post. I guess I thought thats what everyone did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.