1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette Question???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Ladies and Gentlemen...please advise...is this a breach of etiquette and if it is, how would you handle it????

Last week at our usual practice session, two of our members came up with a 12 guage tactical weapon to shoot on the trap line. New member "A" is alledgedly a retired highway patrolman from another state and he hands new member "B" a gun with a 20" barrel and a folding stock/pistol grip.

Member "B" walks up to the line next to me and proceeds to try to figure out how to operate this self defense pump gun. Gets help from member "A" and finally gets it to fire.

I walked off the line. The report of the gun was painful and I felt a gun with a barrel that short was a little unsafe.

Was I right or wrong? Is this a breach of etiquette? If so...how would you handle the situation? Jack Farrow

2. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Does your club have a minimum barrel lenght rule? If not he can use what he wants. But you can do what you want to also. The guy should know how to operate the shotgun before stepping up to shoot with a squad of people. If it were me, and the muzzle blast was that bad, I probably would have left also.

3. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Well being practice, it shouldn't hurt anything other than his shoulder. I'm assuming his scores weren't that great either with that gun. If the muzzle blast was too loud I would have just taken a different squad as you did or move a post away.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Found myself between two Cowboy shooters once with brand new 97 Winchester look-a-likes from China. Barrels were very short and they were firing factory ammo. Muzzle blast and noise was terrible even wearing muffs. Sat out next few rounds till they were done.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

get yourself some earplugs.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I would recommend being friendly and offering them any assistance needed to make sure they were safe and had a good time.

Having recently moved, I got a chance to sample quite a few new clubs within a couple hours of my home. It is interesting how much the reception differed at all the different clubs. You could make your club look great by being friendly. The club I eventually joined welcomed me each and every time I showed up....it does make a difference.

7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Thanks guys. Jack

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jack,

I think the operative aspect is "practice session."

This is often one of my pet peeves at clubs - often it is what keeps me from shooting at some of them.

If there is a competition, then all rules, regs., etc. need to be followed - just makes perfect sense.

But practice is for practice - try a new load, a new gun, introduce a new shooter - sadly too many clubs run these like mini-competitions - effectively excluding the "new." I cannot tell you how many times I've visited a club, asked to shoot and had to wait until an open squad was formed. Never mind that a group of five go out and shoot two or three times while I get to sit on my butt.

While I feel for your concern, how does a 20" gun - just 12 ~ 14 inches shorter that a typical trap gun stack up to the separations seen when shooting H/C - where the separation can be measured in yards??

I take no issue with you walking off the line for noise or safety concerns, but I think a pro-active, positive approach to the shooters will go a long way to help grow our sport. Plus, you get to instill your values and safety ideas into the minds of these guys.

Food for thought.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Jack, I'm just curious as to how could a gun be deemed safe or unsafe, just by the barrel length.

GneJ

10. jhoward

jhoward Member

I would have finished the round, walked over to talk to the pair, and tried to determine if they were interested in trap shooting or if they were just playing around with the tactical. If they were interested in trap, I'd have offered to let them try my gun and see the difference between the tactical and a real trap gun. If they were just playing around, then I'd just wait till they were done if the noise bothered me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.