1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette on TS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Got a question about other peoples threads.If you see a thread that has something for sale and you have one but yours does not work or he has the item way over priced, is it acceptable to bring it to the attention of other TS members?I know the TS web is not for the faint of heart and I enjoy the back and forth discussions,but some people are very touchy about jumping on their thread.What do think?

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I don't think we can put ourselves in the position of consumer protection agents. Now, if you know the seller to be dishonest, you might send a private message to someone who is expressing an interest about the item. Otherwise...no. Martinpicker

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sellers list thing for what they think it worth, who is to say the seller is wrong ..? If it don't sell, the sellers will usually figure it out for themself and adjust the price or not which is their choice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

This is a discussion forum, not a classified ad site like craigslist. If you have something to say it's your choice whether to say it or not- nobody else's. Anybody who starts a thread should expect people to post on it.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For once Galt(ok a few other times too) i see eye to eye with you on this one. Most items "For Sale" are targeted at our FELLOW ts.com users. If something is junk, grossly overpriced, false advertised etc. etc. i think it's our duty to protect our own from a shady deal. How you choose to address one of those issues is totally up to you. This is a public forum as almost anyone can join. On public forums you can expect anything to happen. I have found the deals that are fair and honest go off without a hitch. You can be fair and honest and still make a profit. That is how i see it anyway.

grntitan(YSC) :)

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

usually when people hop on someone else's For Sale thread on here, it is because they want to do a reverse shill...."oh I can get this gun for a lot cheaper, you need to lower your price there buddy", blah blah blah. I see this on here a lot more vice someone trying to "help" a seller out by giving "informative" advice on what his price should be. If you challenge the shiller to provide proof, they either:

1.) don't come back to respond to the seller's challenge to support their argument that the price is too high

2.) claim to have "seen" a similar gun sold "somewhere" for X amount just a few months ago...yeah ok, they probably seen Bigfoot taking a dump in the woods too

3.) references the economy as a "be all, end all" bull$hit excuse to warrant a lower price, as if they took it upon themselves to dictate to everyone else what the price should be LMAO

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

How would you feel if someone did it to your thread?

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you think the seller's price is too high, and really want to help, send them a PM. If its fraud/misrepresented/dishonest seller (which can be substantiated), go ahead and post right to the thread. MTLongshot/Gslam is a good example of this, and it appears ts.com posters are doing a pretty good job of policing his threads when he wanders back.

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I think most of us keep quiet about someones sale and believe that is the right thing to do, after all you should have the right to ask whatever you want for your property and prices can vary in different parts of the country. However when something is just so grossly out of line we just can't and shouldn't. An example is when a gun that most trap shooters wouldn't have experience with is put up for sale on here at a price that is very unrealistic. Or something is advertised as a collectors item when it really is not. A ts.comer that truly has extensive experience with that firearm will feel compelled to inform his fellow trap shooters, ideally as tactfully as possible. A few times comments have been out of line.

10. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

This is a little early, But after the 15th post anything is leagal on TS it seems.

Robert

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's a free forum, but remember common courtesies.

12. citadel

citadel Active Member

If you have a comment or suggestion it is appropriate to address it privately with the person putting up the post. Just send them a PM and offer your suggestions if a friendly , helpful manner. I have done so and received some suggestions about things like pricing, photos and descriptions from other users I'm TS and all have been well taken. If you say it right no one will take of fence.

The above notwithstanding if you see an obvious scam then SHOUT IT OUT LOUD AND CLEAR FOR EVERYONE TO SEE AND BE PROTECTED FROM THE VERY FEW WHO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS GREAT WEB SITE.
    Doug

13. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I like this forum. However, folks can be really mean to each other on here. You're liable to get told off in a rough way..... Mike

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Skeet_man is right -- obvious rip-off artists like MTLongshot (a.k.a. gslam) warrant special/severe treatment. We also need to keep up with him as he goes through new screen names trying to stay one step ahead of his well-deserved reputation.

-Gary

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Really? Are you sure she's female?

-Gary

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The negative comments on For Sale threads seem to fall into two categories... protecting buyers or a genuine case of malice from sour grapes.

17. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I have sold some of my guns here on ts.com and have helped the owner of my LGS sell some as well. I feel it is 100% ok to call out any seller on their price, but do not go as far as calling them dishonest, sucker fishers, etc. GW22 Gary did this to one of my for sale threads that I posted for my LGS. It killed the interest on ts.com even after we got some positive feedback from others. I will admit that we were searching for a value on a very old M37 Winchester that was in the box and asked "top dollar +" as we could always come down at $2,000. Gary made it his personal mission to save the world from buying from us. I think buyers should be able to inform themselves. Sellers want the most and buyers should want to pay the least, we are grown adults as gun buyers/sellers. The M37 sold to a Winchester collector for $1,500 who had to have it, so we were not that far out of line. Just because you won't pay up for a gun does not mean that you are the buyer that the seller is looking for. If you would normally just keep your opinion to yourself, maybe you should.
    Doug Allison

18. copper

copper Member

Some times I will PM someone if I think they are way off and leave at that. I have gotten stupid low ball offers by PM and just thank them and move on instead of a back and forth take every thing with a grain of salt offerers and price info You have to research for yourself . And how fast you want to sell something up to you there are guns that are over priced on gunbroker that have been for sale for years and yet they have not changed price with no offers. I personally try to stay away from trashing someone thread not my deal.

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

To get to the for sale section of the forum you must first click on "The Trapshooters.com Discussion Forum". The key word here is "discussion".

20. golfsharkmarc

golfsharkmarc TS Member

Hello Trapshooters.com! I'm getting back into trapshooting after 20 years.
    Don't remember much, not even how to clean a gun. I've already bought and paid for a few items successfully and have alot more to buy and spend.
    I've chosen Trapshooters.com because it seems friendly, supportive and the members would give honest advice with experience and items for sale.
    If I was up to a good sales pitch or intent to purchase something that isn't relative to good shooting or overpriced I would be sending this message to a local retail store. Look out for your friends and they will look out for you.
    Thanks for letting me be apart.
    The new guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.