1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethics ? on Expossed wood filler on forarm.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by john g., May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Would you consider wood filler on forarm not finnished a Defect, that should have been disclosed in the sale? Many Emails and phone calls but not a word of the wood filler.First the proper way to fix that gapping hole between the brl.and forarm is with colored acuglass or fitting another peace of wood. Not cheep soft wood filler.

Just asking for your opinion,I am keeping the gun. The seller has offered to refund price of gun but not shipping and does not think this wood filler is a defect that should have been mentioned. 40 years I have bought and sold alot of Trap guns and this is a first for me.

John G.

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Id like to go on record and state that I am the seller of the gun mentioned above.

The reason for the wood filler is that there was a a square cut out on the front of the fore arm where the wood meets the barrel. I assume the previous owner tried to attach a barrel weight there but I'm not sure. The wood filler nor the hole affects the function of the gun in any way I just decided to fill in the gap.

I was told by a reputable cabinet maker and finisher that it would be absolutly no problem to stain the filler and clear coat it to the point it would be hardly noticeable. Because of the cabinet workers claim I do not see the filler as a defect as I fully disclosed the stock will need to be refinished and filler never crossed my mind. I considered the wood filler as part of the refinishing process.

As stated above I made the offer to take gun back 3 times over the phone and e-mails for a full refund minus shipping. Just wanted to give my side of the story. BYG

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Definitely something that should have been disclosed prior to sale. Looking at the pictures, you can see that there's SOMETHING there (knowing to look for something in that area), but I can see how it would be easily overlooked by the buyer. Something like this should have been conspicuously photographed and described in the advertisement.

I would rate this type of flaw on par with a crack, sure it can be refinished over or repaired "to the point it would be hardly noticeable", but it will still be there forever, and will forever negatively effect its value and desirability. It is likely that the buyer would not have paid as much for the gun (or may not have purchased it at all, which is what it sounds like) given knowledge of the "repair" ahead of time.

You certainly wouldn't want to buy a car and find out it has a huge gob of bondo covering a rusted out hole upon delivery that wasn't mentioned ahead of time. Same idea.

I believe in light of the omissions, the buyer deserves a full refund, including original and return shipping, or a mutually agreed upon partial refund of the purchase price for diminished value.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I completely agree with skeet-man. The buyer is due a full refund including the cost of the return shipping and insurance. If the buyer chooses to keep the gun he is due a substantial discount and refund.

The filling is a significant flaw and should have been disclosed. The seller may have received accurate advice but it was still an undisclosed flaw. I believe the seller if what he was told was true, was being unrealistic about what an average buyer would feel about the inappropraite patch.

Rollin

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Full and complete disclosure should be the rule.

The question the seller should ask himself is "If I were the buyer, would I want to know this ?"

If a seller didn't tell me everything about a gun, and I got it, I'd be very disappointed.

Gene in Illinois

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I did make a mistake. I considered this fix as part of the refinishing process...an unfortunate side effect of my wood working knowledge inexperiance. To rectify the situation I will be sending John a check for $125.00 as he stated this is what it would take for his man to fix the wood. I would also like to make a public apology to John for all the hassle. BYG

7. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Alls Well...That ENDS WELL.

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

BYG you made it right and learned something worth remembering for future sales. We learn as we grow if we have ethics and you just got a wake up call that is all. Love to watch your projects posts hang in there Young gun.

9. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thank you BYG, your apology excepted. I donot think I would have ever but your name in the post I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I thought you might not have the experience so please use this as a learning experience.I would now do another purchase with you again.

God Bless

John G.

Thanks to all that have responded. This site has alot of very good people on it.

10. revbook

revbook Member

Alls well that ends well. Truly an example of a couple of gentlemen reaching an agreement. BYG cudos for your turn-about, you are an honorable man.

Don in PA

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Any flaw is a flaw and should be disclosed prior to completetion of the sale ... I hesitate to buy a gun when the seller says there is a little mark on the bluing or stock that needs attention, but it doesn't make it shoot any better or worse ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Good for you Beretta young gun. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.