1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

ethanol vn non-ethanol gas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mike T, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T TS Member

I have heard that reg. gas gets better milage that ethanol blend gas. Has anyone checked it out and how much better milage did you get?
    I am in Iowa so I think ours is a 10% blend.
    thanks
    mike t
  2. 635 G

635 G Active Member

!0% less mileage with ethanol.

Phil Berkowitz
  3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I get about 4 mpg better with reg gas. My local station sells the ethanol free gas and I make sure to nuse it, especially in my mowers.

Oscar
  4. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

With my last truck, '05 Chevy, it would get 2-3 less mpg than with regular gas. I haven't used ethanol blended gas in my '11 Dodge so I can't compare.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

About the same in my 5.4l Ford p/U. Boss lady drives a Lincold with the 4.6l and it gets about 2-3 MPG better on the good stuff.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I get 18-19 MpG with straight gasoline Vs 15-16 MpG with 10% ethanol blend gas in my my 1/2 ton GMC. Something like a 15% difference. You can feel the power difference too. The straight gas sells for about $0.25 per gallon more than the blend or about 7% more. So in this case the smart money is on paying more for the straight grade gas.
  7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

It takes about 1.5 gallons of ethanol to equal one gallon of gas . So you are losing about 3.3%. Jeff
  8. timberfaller

timberfaller Active Member

4 mpg and better response with Real Gas over water creating Ethanol!!

Ethanol has cause the US to use more gas, who do you think benefits from that???

Thanks green idiots!!

Food is to eat not burn in engines!! If you check the internet you will find also Ethanol laced gas is more "Polluting" of the environment!!

Thanks again green idiots!
  9. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Well-Known Member

I have a 2003 Chev. Blazer. It used to get 15.5 miles (in the city)to the gallon. In the past couple of years the mileage dropped to 12 miles to the gallon. This is in the summer months. I thought I was having problems with the engine performance and had it tuned up. No difference in the mileage still at 12. Then it dawned on me the gas stations all went to 10% Ethanol. 10% Ethanol = a 20% decrease in mileage, at least in my blazer.

Recently the EPA approved an increase in the ethanol to 15%. I guess i'll have another drop in MPG.

This makes me wonder with the drop in mpg is the ethanol really saving in carbon emissions or does the decreased mileage offset any carbon emission savings?

As usual the Government knows what is best for us. (sarcasm). Mike.
  10. pdq

pdq Member

Consumers Reports did a study on this a few years ago and concluded that compared to "regular" gas, gasoline with 10% ethanol got something like 10 - 15% lower fuel mileage, which means obviously that you have to burn more of the 90% fuel to go the same number of miles. Conclusion was that it no meaningful reduction on our dependence on oil. Makes a lot of money for corn farmers tho.

Pete
  11. 635 G

635 G Active Member

The more gas you burn the more money gets into the gov'ts hands. This is why you'll never see the high mileage cars that are prevalent in Europoe.

Phil Berkowitz
  12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

My car did get 27 MPG and now with that crap gets 23 MPG.

Some older cars HAVE to have NON ETHANOL. If they don't the ethanol gas will distroy the gaskets and lines of the car.

To me its just not worth the trouble to make. I did hear at one time that they were going to stop but now they are thinking of going to 15% ethnaol. More problems to come.
  13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

My wife had been complaining of poor gas milage after every trip to Missoula,Mt. then it dawned on me they are an ethanol city. Now she doesn't fuel up there and has returned to her "good" milage.
    Percentage of fuel economy drop I couldn't tell you, 100% increase in complaining.
  14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's easy to calculate the effect of ethanol on gas mileage. Gasoline has 114,100 BTUs per gallon while ethanol has 76,100. That means that ethanol has 33% fewer BTUs. Since there is 10% ethanol in the gas with ethanol it follows that ethanol gas will decrease mileage by 3.3%. While this is nothing to sneeze at, it's far less than many people claim using anecdotal evidence. Of course if you generally get 100 mpg then you will really lose 3 mpg.
  15. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I have seen the drop in gas mileage with my car too!

If you are able to get non-blended gas, how do you find it?

Charlie
  16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Charlie, try the url above. Pure gas is getting harder to find every day and will likely be extinct soon.
  17. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

You get 25persent less in a gallon of etnaol.But the major problem is it will totaly kill a carberator.The four wheeler shops and scooter shops are having to rebuild carbs all the time.I just had a fourwheeler drain the gas tank down into the oil pan and had to rebuild the carb.I also had to rebuild a 250 scooter.When I went to get parts the repair shop told me he gets a least one a week like them.That is why you should get an etnoal additive and add it to your fuel.There are some large storage tanks that they will not even put it in.Search the net and read up on and it will make you sickto think our gov would do this ti us.
  18. timberfaller

timberfaller Active Member

I was told by our local bulk plant that sells REAL GAS the other day, that because Ethanol creates it own water while in storage, its only added to the gas while it is being put in the tanker trucks as they leave the refinerys.

Can't back it up with proof, but sounds logical.

Non Ethanol gas here is generally $.10 per gallon higher, BUT boy is it worth it!!

Greenies, the scum of the earth!!
  19. ctreay

ctreay Member

I have a '97 Ranger, 4cyl, 5spd. I used to get 27-29 MPG on reg gas, now with the 10% ethanol mix I get 22 at best. Now with the drought hitting the corn crops corn will be going up and so will ethanol and so will our gas. Now the word is the govt wants to raise it to 15%.

ctreay
  20. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

The best ethanol can be distilled to is 95% so there is still 5% water in it they add benzene to it to absorb or mix with the water to help keep it in solution

You notice I said help keep it in solution, guess it doesn't always work
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.