1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ESTIMATED COST OF TYPICAL 3-DAY SHOOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Estimated cost break down for 3-Day shoot with 8 events.
    Travel/Lodging/Food 600 mile round trip @ 18mpg, $3.80/gal....126.66; Food 3-days, 9 meals @ avg. $9.00/meal....81.00; Lodging 2 nights @$130.00/night....260.00; Sub Total....467.66; Entry Fees 3-day shoot, eight events 900 targets no options - $25.00/100, & $4.00 fes/day)....240.00; Ammo
    600 rounds #8; 1 1/8 (Estate/Rio) @ 5.50/bx (Singles & Doubles events)....230.00; 300 rounds #7 1/2; 1 1/8 Winchester Super Handicap @ 8.50/bx....102.00; Sub Total....332.00; Total Expenses....1039.66; Assume 7 such events/season....$7,277.62.

A very modest model. This cost represents 9% of the gross income of someone who earns $80,000/year.

Please do not expose the above data to any significant other who wouldn't understand the costs we're willing to expend on our adddiction!

TY2008 is well underway, have a great season!!!

Guy Babin

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't forget to subtract your winnings fom the total cost of the weekend. HMB

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Just how many of todays shooters are $80,000 a year earners?

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Just cut out the breakfasts for 3 days and it will look a lot more affordable......lol

Hauxfan!

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I would consider that a very reasonable break down for a long weekend.

But I'll bet you're overstating it - I suspect most folks in the Lower 48 (I'm in Alaska, personally) don't get that far from home more than every other month as you're figuring (7 times a year).

A more realistic approach might be to figure the cost for a one day, 300 bird shoot 75 miles from home - and figure that amount 15 times a year and then add in one or two of your big weekend trips a year.

Just a thought.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

You could also just say that it is free and figure the cost of a printing press in the basement to print extra money as you need it or want to shoot with it.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Deduct taxes off winnings. Forgot strip bar costs. Your way too cheap!

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I never win anything so that's not a consideration of mine. I have been known to frequent establishments where clothing was frowned upon for the staff however, you bring a valid point. Lets cipher it out:

T'TY bar expenses: Beer drinkers - 4.50/ea x 10 = $45.00; Whisky drinkers - my favorite JD and water - $7.00/ea x 10 = $70.00. Staff Gratuities - $1.00/ea x 30 = $30.00. The sweet smell of their hair and necks - priceless! Total cost range (excluding lap dances): $75.00-$100.00. Staying with the 7 weekend model that adds $525-$700 per annum.

I like the way you think Setterman! All I have to do now is find one near Elysburg, Winchester, Millington, and the VTA homegrounds.... Any suggestions from the indigenous would be very welcome.

Guy Babin

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Hey Guy,

When you are in Winchester, drive North about 30 minutes into Charlestown West VA. You'll find everything you are looking for. lol

Luvn

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have the reputation of being a devout cheapskate. I will spend $55 per nite tops on a motel but I am not too proud to pitch my pup tent on the club grounds whenever it is necessary like last weekend at Missoula MT. I just found out that 3 dram 7 1/2s in Estates will break Handicap targets from the 27 so I don't need to pay the premium price for Super Handicap shells. I figure I'm gonna eat whether it is at home or at a Family Restaurant so I don't add much extra for meals. Our new car (Jeep Patriot) gets better than 30 mpg but I ain't saying what we paid in order to save money. I also don't dare figure out the cost of shooting 15,000 registered targets last year but I just know it had to be less than whatever a psychiatrist charges now days to make you feel good about yourself.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just calculated what my two day (600 target)shoot at the Great Lakes Grand will cost. Travel (400 miles), lodging ($55/night), meals, targets plus some options, and shells ($5/box) runs just about $1/target. I think that's the figure I've seen posted on here. There are 5 shoots at Mason, so it's going to run me about 3 grand plus the 6 or 7 local shoots. Ya gota pay to play.

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

A full week at the Great Lakes Grand . . .

- Gas $155 (500 miles roundtrip + 250 miles hotel-to-range-to-hotel) @ 20 mpg, $4.15 per gallon

- Hotel $650 (7 nights including tax)

- Shells $525 (11 flats, some Estates and some reloads)

- Entry fees $616 (2200 @ 28/100)

- Food $140 ($20 per day above what I spend when at home)

$2086, or about $0.95 per target.

In addition to the above I'll probably waste some money during the week also :)

If you see a line of people complaining about what it costs to shoot in Michigan for a week, I'll be the very last guy in the line.

Scott

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Those numbers sound about right.

John C. Saubak

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You expect the average shooting family man to shoot 15 weekends in the summer,
    yeah right and go to DIVORCE COURT. there are 52 weekends in a year,and May-June-July-August ther goes the whole summer. When do the average shooter spend time with his family for a vacation?

That's Bull sh*t no wonder shooting events are down now due to high costs of Gasoline, Shells, $30.00 targets w/fees per 100.

Someone has their head buried in the SAND.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. nipper

nipper TS Member

check out priority club.com with holiday inn. get points for each stay, i have earned nearly 1 million points thru work travel. for around 15,000 points or so, earn a free night somewhere at another location,or go for the amex anywhere hotel card for a free stay,also visa has a priority club card you can earn points toward same thing. american express card points can also be transfered to priority club so all my business expenses and travel cost go here and then i transfer to priority club, so i hardly ever pay for a hotel non-work related. in june i will be headed to manhatten n.y.c. for 6 nights for free. who sad someone needs 3 meals a day anyway.

bill

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gary I don't know about head in the sand but it is someplace. One line you are saying he doesn't have the time if he has a family and the next line you are talking it is to expensive. Does that mean if it was cheaper then the family man would find the time??

Nothing new, people make choices about their time and the way they spend their money.

Don

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Cant we all just agree that shooting is expensive and leave it at that?

18. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Interesting numbers. Wonder how this compares with golf.

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Golf is cheaper.

Clubs cost less than a gun.

A dozen balls costs less than shells.

A Saturday on the course costs less than a registered shoot.

Golf is by far cheaper and offers you so many more places to play than shooting will ever offer you.

20. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Please take up golf.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.