1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ESTATE vs TOP GUN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

How do these factory loads compare? I know they are both made by Federal. I shoot the Estate 1 oz @ 1180 fps, and my Teknys needs to be cleaned often. Thinking of switching to same load in TOP GUN. John

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Same manufacturer (Federal), so it would be easy to assume (yeah, I know) both are loaded with the same powder, etc.

Call Federal and ask.

Curt

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

They are the same shell. It was explained to me that Estates are marketed by the big chains and Top Gun are marketed by the smaller independent dealers.

4. shaner

shaner Member

well they are basicly the same but id say the top gun are more a big chain also look at walmarts,

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I prefer the Top Guns over the Estates, they seem to have less recoil and I can pick them up at Wally World ... Might just be in my mind but they seem to be a lot different besides just in color ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

What about Gun Clubs 2 3/4 dram ? 98.74 on 2300 singles for me , can't be too much wrong with them .

7. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

GUN CLUBS...STS...Nitro 27?? When you can buy them...

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I don't know about any powder difference in the loads, although several above believe there is a difference. I do know that there is a difference in the shot!!! Estates have 5-6 percent antimony lead and the Top Guns have about 3 percent antimony lead in them. So that said, I got this info from some shooting mag awhile back, so it should be true. Now you can make a better choice yourself. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Normally I miss out on most deals but I did buy alot of Estate shells two years ago also Gun Clubs . I bought them at 38.00 a flat .

I,v been shooting the Estates and like them alot . The last two months I shot Rem Gun Clubs more recoil and two or three duds . Never a problem with Estates

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Hey Shawn and Mike....you goin' out to Mossliegh on Sunday?

Ron

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Ron, I will be at Mossleigh on Sunday.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A couple of years ago I loved the Estate 1oz supersport loads, they were cheap,low recoil and busted targets well. Sometime between then and now they changed something because the last flat I shot they where dirty, recoiled more and just didn't perform the same. I never tried a box of their heavier loads I liked. WM Federal 3 drams are better IMHO.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Shoot both. Cannot tell the difference. But I shoot the 1-1/8 and not th eone ounce. Shooting top gun tomorrow.Maybe Rios.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Powders re basically the same (OEM powder made by Alliant). Shot made by the same facility. I have shot both and both worked well.

I am impressed by the sensitivity of some that can tell the difference in recoil. Some seem to be able to shoot one brand of shells one week and another brand the next week and tell a difference in shells both pushing 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1200 ft/sec. I admire these sensitive people. They would also be able to get two hamburgers from McDonald's and quickly tell which one weighed more.

Pat Ireland

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pull & Mark "Estates have 5-6 percent antimony lead and the Top Guns have about 3 percent antimony lead in them."

I've often heard that, but I've never heard how that was determined. Do you know?

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mr.skeet, you have a PM. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.