1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate vs Multi- Purpose Federal Shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Shooting at the Grand this year, I decided to shoot some so called economy shotshells for handicap. I started out with Estate 3 dr. 7 1/2. The recoil was quite heavy and the hits were on the light side. I switched to the Federal Walmart multi-purpose 3 dr. 7 1/2. the recoil was lighter with many smoked targets. They are both from Federal as far as I know. Was this my imagination, or does my gun likes them better? Did anyone else experience this? I looks like I should have shot the premium Feds or AA and get the rebates?
    Clyde

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Yep, one of the worst things you can do is have ammo as a lingering question in the back of your mind. Always use the best you can when shooting in a big tournament. And shoot a round or two of practice with those same shells BEFORE the big shoot!

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I shoot both and cannot tell the difference in recoil, but am able to get good solid breaks at yardage.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your imagination. I have also noticed that the Walmart
    Federal Multipurpose shells do not seem to kick as much as Estates. I haven't
    noticed a difference in the breaks, but I do like the Federals.

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Estate is on the move - up.

They have just come out with a Dove Load, 12 ga. 1 oz. @ 1290fps. (GTL12N) which has a different head, over powder cup, new wad, new basewad, and it appears a Rio primer. The wad appears to be Gulandi or BP but cannot be for sure nor can I be for sure on the primer but it appears to be a Rio.

This is a throwback to the old Estate Cartridge Mfg. Co., of Trinity, Texas whereas their Super Sport Competition Load was very similar in makeup to this new Dove Load and the shot looked good but I haven't tested it for hardness but would suspect 2% antimony.

This Dove Load performs very good and expect these new components to surface in their Super Sport Competition Load with 5% antimony.

I had written Federal a letter about 2 months ago complaining about the downfall of Estate since Federal took them over and especially complained about the cheap and inferior components they were using in the Super Sport Competition Load and charging a premium load price. Obviously my letter didn't have any bearing on this new load but it felt good to tell Federal just how good the old Estate shells were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
estate shells review
estate shells vs super target

estate super sport antimony

estate supersport antimony
federal multi purpose load review
federal multi purpose shotgun ammo

federal multi purpose shotshells

federal top gun vs multi purpose