1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate vs Federal vs Winchester Super Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redcobra, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I know many of you guys shoot higher grade shells or reload, but given the choice of Federal low end (currently the pink ones) versus the bottom line Estates versus the Winchester Super Targets, which do you prefer in a 1200fps #8 shell? These are all usually the same price.
    Visually the Winchesters have a brass colored primer and seem to be made a little better. I have had trouble with the Feds (when I used the red white and blue ones)swelling and being harder to extract than the other two.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Alan

2. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Not 100 percent sure but I think estates and fed. Top guns are like the samething and are made in the same factory. Just what ive herd. Correct me if i'm wrong! id go with either the two

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Estates use "magnum" shot, Top Guns use "hard" shot. Take that for what its worth, but I would think if they were the same shell, they'd use the same terminology in the description. Given the chose of those 3, I'd take Estates every time.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Estate's are now owned by Federal. Doesn't necessarily mean they are the same shell. That said, I do not know what if any components they share or do not share.

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

This has been discussed on here several times. Some guys have opened Estate shell boxes to find Federal shells! Tells me they are basically the same shell.

I have had excellent luck with the pink Top Guns...never a misfire...never a problem. Also went through ten flats of Estates last year without a problem. However, I don't think the pink shells, or the wounded warrior shells give you 1200 fps. They are once and an eighth with two and a half drams equivilant...that gives you about 1135 fps. Correct me if I'm wrong. Jack

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Redcobra:

If you're a 27 yard All American, you should probably stick with Gold Medals,
    STS/Nitros, or AA's for handicap. Of course, if you were a 27 yard All American, you already know that.

If you're a mere mortal like the rest of us, you're better served by directing your attention to shooting fundamentals rather than wasting mental energy pondering which cheap shell is "best". The difference in your scores using Estates vs. Top Gun vs. cheap Winchesters will be nil.

FWIW, you can add Gun Club, Diana, Kemen, and a several other less expensive shells to the question and the answer remains the same. Sooner or later something will be on sale. Buy those.

sissy

7. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Top guns are 1145 fps. I like the top guns. Estate 's are ok. The Winchester's while good , my browning Citori xt does not like them. They chamber hard and extract hard.

8. jimbo9910

jimbo9910 TS Member

reloads, i would rather shoot my reloads then any other. I load 1oz at 1200fps for 16s just put your 1 1/8 then 1oz on paper you will see the difference and you won't shoot 1 1/8 again for 16s

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have had more than a few Winchesters not fire--face of back caved in...SMOKIT

10. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Remington gun clubs are probably top of the line for "cheap" shells

11. sidious

sidious Member

I got a few thousand of once fired Federal Pink hulls for free. Started reloading them just now. Been using 3/4oz shot with 16 grains of Extra-Lite and boy are they soft and easy on recoil. Also using Federal 12S0 wad and 209A primer.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You can throw the Rem Gun clubs in the mix above as well, and I'd go with the Estate's every time as well. Break em all Jeff

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

All 3 brands are good, but Super Targets do not reload worth a poot.

Feds/Estates and Gun Clubs reload quite well for at least one time.

I can never find Super Targets priced as cheaply as Feds and Rem, but I do like ST performance as a new shell and softer recoil, somewhat.

14. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Id like to buy more estates. No one has um near me. even tho I reload I still buy new on sale! Anyone have some estates for me:)

15. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

Cut open an estate shell today shot looked like reclamed ,dull grey in color
    sized ranged from .075 to .095.
    cut open a super target shot polished dark black and all uniform size .095 dia.
    super targets win as best shell

jim

16. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

The Estates I cut open were as Jim stated, they even had pieces of
    cut in haft shot.

Win's were clean nice.

Bill

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Of all the cheapies, Gun Clubs have the best components. One piece compression formed hull and base wad. Premier primer. Higher quality base metal wash. Uniform shot size.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner says he shoots practice with Estates when he doesn't have the time to roll his own!

Keller

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Does anyone load using the Winchester Super Targets.

20. dls guide

dls guide Member

I like the Win Super target shells the best of the three. We can't get Rem gun clubs in MT at a fair price. Although, the Win super targets don't reload very well, maybe one time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal top gun and estate shells
federal top gun or remington

federal top gun vs remington gun club

federal top gun vs winchester aa
remington gun club vs federal vs winchester
the least exspensive winchester super target shotshells on the internet
winchester super target miss fires
winchester supertarget vs federal top gun