1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Super Sport Competition Target Load Shells - Thoughts & Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cyanzer, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Cyanzer

Cyanzer Member

I have mostly been shooting the Walmart Federal Multipurpose 4-pack shells because they are the only shells I have seen that are around 5.00 a box. I'm a new shooter and am saving money where I can so I can spend more on range fees.

I was at a different Walmart the other day and saw that they had Estate Super Sport Competition Target Load Shells for sale at a little under 5.50 a box. I was also excited to see that they offered 1oz loads at 1180fps. I have been wanting to try some lighter shells just to check the recoil difference, but I had not found any before that day that were comparable in price to the 1 1/8oz 1200fps promo loads I had been buying for 21.50 a pack or 5.37 a box.

My question is what are people's opinions of these Super Sport Competition Target Loads? They say on the box that they are specifically designed for trap and skeet, but are they really? Has anyone tested the shot in them for hardness or consistency of shape and size? Are these shells re-loadable? Finally, does anyone know of any other companies offering 1oz or 7/8oz shells for less than 6.00 a box?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Buy all you "CAN"!!! at that price. IMO they are the best economy line of shell on the market!!! They have (or at least used to) the highest antimony lead of all the economy line shells. I saw a shooting mag. article about ten years ago stating a 5% antimony in them. The top guns, and winchester super target were 3% antimony, while the gun clubs are now 2% antimony. Since any tin typed steel based hull they are not the best to reload, I don't waste my time. I will only reload brass, because life's to short to reload trash hulls. You'll be money ahead in the long run if you reload brass only. Estate shells do have a odor that some shooters just don't like, while others like the scent. If I could find your loads around here, I would be buying all I could lay my hands on. I would even save these hulls for tournament shooting and not waste them for practice. Now tell me where did you find them on "Sale"!!!

While you may, or may not notice the difference in recoil in one shell, or even a whole box of shells (and I think you will) you will notice it after shooting 4 plus boxes at the end of the day or the next morning!!! break em all Jeff

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Active Member

Well I don't shoot sporting clays or 7/8 oz or 1oz weight shot. I do shoot the white box estates 1 1/8 oz 7.5 1175fps trap loads. I like them. Not much recoil. They break targets from the 16yd -24yd lined just fine.

Jason in PA

4. WadHopper

WadHopper That guy's full of crap! TS Supporters

I've shot several flats of the Estates from WM and had no issues. They do have a funky smell though...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    trapp2012 and baron von thanked this.
  5. Pull & Mark

This is not the shell the original poster is talking about, so let's not bring this French made shell into the topic. Thanks and break em all Jeff

6. Cyanzer

Cyanzer Member

Thanks for the comments so far. Jeff, I didn't figure they were re-loadable but I wanted to check. I found them for that price at a Walmart in Franklin, IN. I also appreciate and agree with your comment about the accumulative affect of felt recoil. I've been doing some work on my 870TB to reduce felt recoil and it's helped a lot, but I think shooting a shell like this in 1oz loads will help too.

7. chetman7

chetman7 Member

I shoot these time to time. Internally they looked like renamed top guns

8. Sundown

Sundown Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with these shells, better than some of the other inexpensive promo shells.

9. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

I shot my first hundred straight using estate 1 ounce 1180 ft./s shells

Zartosht thanked this.
  10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

IMHO--red/tan--same thing as Top Guns

Phil Berkowitz

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

In my estimation, I believe these shells to be the best quality economy target shell on the market. As far as reloading them, I load them 1 time and dump them. I load them to shoot in my Beretta autos for sporting clays as hulls are hard to retrieve. Bill

12. baron von

baron von Well-Known Member

we shot about 8 boxes of the red/tan box this weekend in 1 oz - they worked swell but the stank stuck in my nose all night!

13. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member

I love them and buy them whenever they are on sale (Cabelas has them on sale frequently).

They always work for me, never had any problem with them at all.

Bob

14. bsd

bsd Active Member

Avademy regularly has them for $6/box and they are my goto shell.

WadHopper thanked this.
  15. redcorn

redcorn Member

Like them as well.Look at box some ss are 1200 ft and some 1245.

16. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

17. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Shot my first hunnert strait using that same shell. Missed ever dang one of em.

18. Cyanzer

Cyanzer Member

Thanks for all the input. Trapshooter that's an awesome chart. Solidifies, in my mind at least, that for the money the yellow box elites cannot be beat.

Border Bandit thanked this.
  19. Pull & Mark

Darn it. To far away from me to drive over for the sale this week!!!

Also all hulls are reloadable. Its just that tin type steel based loads are extra hard on your guns extractor's and your reloader's resizing station. The undo stress will cause these parts to break much faster than with Brass hull's. Mec re-sizeing fingers are expensive to replace, as are new ejector's in your gun. So why bother reloading them. but, I like Bill's post #11 about reloading the Estate's just so his auto would toss them. Thus he does not have to try to save his empties. A nice idea that I did not think about. But then I have no auto's to worry about (Yet). hehehe break em all Jeff

20. 7Shot

7Shot TS Member

The Estate 1oz load at 1180 fps is a nice low recoil shell.

Neil Winston and DOUBLEG2 thanked this.