1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate shorshells...Dove and Target Load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 19, 2013.

1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I noticed a decent price on these shells locally...they have a 1oz load but the dram eq is 3 1/4...I shoot 1oz reloads....I'm wondering if that 1oz Estate load will be comfortable to shoot....skeet, 16yd, etc.....Thanks

2. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have shot several flats of them in the last few weeks. They kick about like a 1145 fps 1 1/8 oz load. They shot about 4 inches lower than 1145 1 1/8 oz loads in my gun.I had to raise the comb 3/16 in. to shoot them. I suggest you check them out on a pattern board.

3. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

My squad buddy and I bought a flat of them in PA for caps. Didn't know they were dove and target loads, we thought there were the old type. WRONG Neither of us could hit a thing with them. I sold mine and took a loss just to get rid of them.

I don't know what they did but there not the same as the old type in the yellow and red boxes.

4. SMOKEIT

I say again--If you buy them you better make a trip to the pattern board to see if they shoot too low....

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

I have about five flats left. They sure do a number at sporting clays. No problems at all and there have been no problems with a shifting point of impact with five or six guns. Frankly, all 3 1/4 DE (1290 fps) loads kick more than I prefer, but the price has been the driving factor.

Johnpe

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the 3 1/4 - 1 load as sold from most manufactures is loaded with soft shot.

They may work well in the field or for close targets but may have a weak pattern. When I first started shooting back in the 1960's, the old timers called these "donut loads" because they had a hole in the center.

Federal Gold Medal and Remington STS 1 ounce loads work well for me but these loads have harder shot.

My understanding is that the 3 1/4 dram equivalent loading in a 1 oz shell was necessary to reliably function the old Browning hump back shotguns.

Ed Ward

7. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

I am not one to complain about shells, but I have shot handicap fairly well this year and I have used these estate target/dove on three occasions and did very very pourly. Whether its in my head or out the barrel I don't know but I do know I hate them and wont ever use them for caps ever again. There's no comparison to a true Handicap shell even if they say there 1250. They're cheap and will work OK for my leagues and such but I wont shoot them at registered targets. Just my opinion and experience with them. -Ken

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've been using the 3dram 1 1/8oz 8s in both my Guerini and DT10 and they work great and get to the handicap targets pronto...and no I don't shoot from the 18yd line

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The original poster and all subsequent posters give no information about the shells they are buying and shooting nor do they give any information about how they tested the shells. They remind me of writers in mass media gun publications.

10. SMOKEIT

8bore

I stated that they shot about 4 in low on a pattern board..that not specific enough for you?

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

The old Estates dove and quail loads were loaded in Estates cases by Estates. The new batch that I have seen lately are loaded in Clever cases and are the same garbage as the Federal Independence shells. I don't know for sure, but I think that they are imports. Eurotrash. Bill

12. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

What about Winchester Universal shells, 2 3/4 dram loads. Any body tried these??

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shoot trap loads for everything, gave my Nephew a flat (3dr/7 1.2's) for Dove and Quail and he always bags him limit ... He don't eat them so I help him out with that also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I bought two flats of these (Estate 1 oz. 7.5shot 3&1/4 dram) accidentally. I held up a single box of the same shell with 1&1/8 oz. of shot and 2&3/4 dram and asked two young men at Academy Sports if they had them in cases. They grabbed two cases and put them in the bottom of my cart. My fault for not checking!

Anyway, I have not shot a decent score with them. Maybe just me, but I am breaking more targets with the Estate and Rio shells with 1&1/8 oz at 1145 fps. I was glad to know that they may shoot low. I have not patterned them but I will.

These shells are made in France. I cut one open and the shot in them is all round and consistant in size. Martinpicker

15. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I tried some of the 3 dr. 1 1/8 oz. #8 French Estates. They had 490 gr. of soft 8 1/2 shot. They worked okay for close shots but wouldn't reach out for longer distances. American Estate 1 1/8 oz. loads usually have closer to 475 gr. of harder full size shot in my experience. That could be a reason they seem to have lighter recoil. IMHO Ron

16. perezal

perezal Member

My friend bought some last hunting season and he didn't hit a thing with them.Stay away buy some remington or if you want to go cheaper get some federal shells.

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the Federal made Estates are the best economy shell going. If I can't shoot my handloads, STS, AA, I'm going w/ Estates (and would take those over STS or AA in the 12 or 20 any day).

18. Mxkop

Mxkop Member

I've been shooting the 3 dram 1 oz Estates all summer long with excellent results. I think they are an excellent low cost option.

Search tags for this page
3 dram target loads for doves
estate dove and quail load
estate dove and target

estate dove and target load

estate dove and target load primer

estate dove and target load primer type

estate dove loads
shooting doves with estate shells