1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Shells in a Silver seitz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz911, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz911

Seitz911 TS Member

Im just getting back in the game after a 10 year break and am having a Silver Seitz built.I was told SS have problems with ejecting Fiocchi's and I wanted to know if anyone is experiencing any problems with Estate shells before I buy them?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It depends on your chamber size. The first chamber cut by a reamer will be the largest. As the reamer wears, the chambers cut by the reamer get smaller. When the chambers are too small, the reamer is tossed out.

Many discount shells with steel heads will stick in larger chambers. Both steel heads and brass heads expand when fired, but the brass is resilient and will go back to nearly its initial size. Steel will not and it can get stuck in the chamber.

My gun (K-80) will not eject most discount shells but Estates work fine. After you get your new gun, buy a few boxes and try them out.

Pat Ireland

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have shot alot of Estates in three Silver Seitz Guns with no problem at all . I shoot Estates and Gun Clubs for singles and the Remingtons shoot just as well .

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

My experience with shells sticking is exactly, I repeat exactly opposite of Pat Ireland. Of course most of the time opposite of Pat. I had two Lguns that would not eject or extract steel base hulls of several different brands including Gun Clubs, Top Guns etc. My Seitz would handle all of them. When I measured the chamber end, where the base of the shell is located, both Lguns were .003" to .004"smaller than my Seitz! FWIW! Tom Rhoads

5. steele

steele TS Member

I have 2 Ljutics & they both hate the cheaper shells. Constantly sticking. Now I have a Seitz single & a Seitz O/U, the the better half has her Seitz single. Never had a problem with any of them with sticking shells. The Seitz gun will kick an empty 20' !!

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In my later model...Winchester AA and Remington STS worked the best for me.. Fiocchi's were a NO..Estate and Gun Club were for practice only.. as a few per 25 would stick..Never solved the problem.. My older Seitz would digest anything that fit in the chamber..

7. kolar1

kolar1 TS Member

No problem at all with estates-remington-federal-only problems were with old rios blue and green.Seitz 911 is that the highest production # that seitz is up to?. Good luck with your purchase ,am very well pleased with quality of the gun & seitz service.

8. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Here is a question about steel based shells.I have heard that the cheap steel

based shells will ruin your block face and you will have to have it refaced.

Anybody know if there is any truth to that?

Philly D

9. Seitz911

Seitz911 TS Member

Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated!! I had a SS years ago # 166 and sold it. I loved it, and they kept all my information so im having a duplicate made with Phil Simms and old friend doing the stock. The # 911 had a special meaning for me and Richie allowed me to have that # since they are close to it. Thanks again for all of your help!! Chris Johnson

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pat, Considering the cost of a Seitz they should be using no worn reamers. I would expect those chambers held to a very small tolerance.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Mr. Ireland was thinking of Krieghoff as quality control is lacking ?

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

No problems in the Seitz, but Gun Club and Fio. stick in my Alfermann.

13. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 TS Member

Here is what I have read:

The brass base gives a very small amount of cushioning to the chamber walls, whereas the steel does not.

When your firearm is discharged and the pressure rises to the peak chamber pressure, everything in that chamber between the pressure and the chamber walls is pressed against the chamber walls at full chamber pressure. When the chamber pressure is reduced back to ambient pressure, due to everything squirting out of the barrel, the hulls and the shell bases, especially the brass ones, relax a bit and spring back close to their original size. The steel bases on hulls are not made of heat-treated or spring steel and they barely relax at all since their forming pressure has been exceeded by the previous chamber pressure. This is one of the reasons that steel based hulls are harder to size, they come out of the chamber larger than their brass counterparts.

I've also read that you'd have to fire many thousands of rounds before steel shells might leave depression in the chamber. Again ... that's what I've read.

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

My SS shoots Estates with no problems whatsoever.

15. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Not to change the subject but why is it that when a SS,ljutic or perazzi won't eject shells it's no big deal or the fault of cheap shells,but I saw this same problem discussed a while back about an SKB and the general conclusion was the the gun was a piece of crap and the owner needed to upgrade to one of the afore mentioned weapons?Jerry

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have never seen a steel shell stick in a BT99. Why does it only happen in the more expensive guns? If the shells stick because the chamber is smaller then what is the advantage of a small chamber?

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Steel hulls stick in both of my Infinities. Guns with close tolerances seem to have these problems.

Phil Berkowitz

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have 3 k-guns and one superposed--- steel hulls work fine---Like brass better for life of receiver and reloader ---sjb---

19. JTEA

JTEA Member

As the reamers wear the dimension will decrease and the shells will get tighter. Should not be a factor for these high end guns. Ljutic used to set up all their guns for AA hulls. Years ago I found a "pet" load with Federal Gold Medals and the Dynokic sometimes hung up. Due to their design they didn't have a strong ejector, and the Feds. expand more (straight hull as well). I sent the gun out and they simply opened it up ~ .005" (had other work being done at the time). I have seen parking lot gunsmiths use a brake hone wrapped with 320 grit emery paper and oil do the same thing. Get a micrometer before you draw too many conclusions. You'll find that auto-loaders are quite loose etc.

JT

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It,s not so much gun with close tolerances AS it,s wornout Reamers .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

estate shells not ejecting