1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Shells...as good as big three?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Seitz552, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz552

Seitz552 TS Member

Are the Estate Shells as good as the big three? (Win, Fed, Rem)

They are certainly cheaper, but how well do they perform?

Is the 3 dram with 7.5 shot good from the 27?

I haven't shot any of these shells yet but a few friends are trying to get me to switch from AA. Would love some feedback.

Thanks

Chris

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I can't say from experience but I've certainly noted a heck of a lot of Estate hulls on the ground following many of the best shooters in my area....Bob Dodd

3. lefty o

lefty o Active Member

estate is made by federal. the wad does suck, but they break birds.

4. Seitz552

Seitz552 TS Member

Didn't know about the wad being crappy. I thought Federal might have been the maker of Estate just because the case box looks the same.

I have been seeing a lot of empty hulls on the ground also, just want to know of the cost savings justifies the lack of performace, mostly in the Caps. 16's it probably won't matter.

thanks for the responses so far guys...any other takes on Estate will be appreciated

Chris

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The only inexpensive trap load I can buy around here ar Gun Clubs, Rios and Estates. I like them in that order. Tolerate is probably a better word. Guns Clubs will be great for while, then Remington will change the load and that whole run will be not as good. Rios are nice, but there are too many off sounding shells, even in hot weather, to suit me. When I win Estates at prize shoots and can't exchange them, I don't take them. i won't use them anymore, even for free.

I'd rather take the time to reload my own. For less money per box I can make a shell that runs rings around the three I mentioned above.

6. Seitz552

Seitz552 TS Member

Thanks zzt,

I understand that reloading can be cheaper, but my time is vaulable too. I'm not going to reload, just looking for the best deal on ammo. Sportmen's Wharehouse is good for Esate on Price, I will probably end up shooting them on 16's and Twins, but go with tried and true AA for caps.

thanks again

chris

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I love Estates despite what my friend ZZT says. I have never had a misfire, they are the far softer than Gunclubs, and they are the same price as Rio's in my neck of the woods. I have shot them in some nasty cold weather and never had any problem. I have only used them for 16 yard and doubles targets so I can only speak for the light 1 1/8 oz loads.

Some people do have problems with them sticking in certain guns but that is certainly not the case with my Perazzi.

My second choice would be Rio but as was noted they do seem to have some issues with light sounding loads especially in cold weather.

My last choice in cheaper shells would be the Gunclubs. They are, subjectively, much more "vigorous" in the recoil department. The good thing about Gunclubs is that the hull is very reloadable.

Smash Em,

Jerry

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I tried to compare the patterns of Estates to their "stablemate" Gold Medals.

First I shot and photo-ed 10 7 1/2's, but they turned out to be 8's. So I did Gold Medal 8's and then they turned out to be 7 1/2's. After that, I kind of lost interest.

The Estate 1-oz. 9's load is the best I've ever found for the first shot of doubles. Try it.

Neil

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have no problem using Estates for 16 yds or doubles, but was not happy with them in handicap as the wads only go as far as the trap house. Last year, Brian Whalen broke over 550 straight in a shoot-off with Estates. He did miss 1 and lose, but I doubt it was the fault of the shell. Larry Evans

10. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I have been shooting an estate 1 oz, nothing wrong with them. Made by Federal and have not had a single problem with them. Buy them and give them a try.

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

There the same as a Federal Top Gun. Take both apart and see. There OK for 16yd. Todd

12. RLSS

RLSS TS Member

No, they are not as good.

Why would anyone skimp on the componenet that actually gets the job done.

Never made any sense to me.

RLSS

13. Seitz552

Seitz552 TS Member

Sportsmen's Wharehouse as them at $4.10/box.

IF the price is going up on the 1st of OCT. i guess i should stock up...at least for singles and twins. Can anybody verify if that is a fact or rumor on the price increase?

thanks

chris

14. sniper1969

sniper1969 TS Member

I have broken 2 100x100 from the 27 yard line with light 8's and carried a 98:80's double's average with the same shell this year you can't go wrong with them!RON WATSON

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As far as inexpensive shells go, they are OK. If you want to compare them to STS's, AA's, or the premium shells, they are not quite the same. They work and will break targets. The hulls are cheaply made and they are a "bargain" priced shell. I can reload others to perform as well or better for less money. The shot does seem to be fairly hard, but the wads are cheap like the rest of it. They are reliable enough and a lot of the better shooters around here seem to do well with them.

16. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Estates are from one of the Big Three, Federal. I have not used them at Handicap but if Ron Watson says he has two straights from the 27 with them, that is good enough for me. I use them in singles and doubles when I find a deal on them and recall I broke a 150 by 150 in a singles championship event of that length in Tucson at the Spring Grand a couple of years back. All domestic target loads will go up substantially soon. It is only a question of when and how much as they have all announced by word of mouth that they will. I do not know if there is going to be a corresponding increase in price of imports.

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Quite happy with Estate 1 oz results and gun operation. Will never buy Rio again. Wish John Ratzenberger would take his show Made In America to the Federal plant someday. I'll give him a call.

18. Seitz552

Seitz552 TS Member

Where can i buy about 100 cases? Probably half 2 3/4, half 3 dram loads. probably all 8's or some 7.5 shot.

anybody have a place where i can get that many cases?

Chris

19. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

When you center targets, ammunition quality really doesn't matter much. From the 16 yard line, ammo quality doesn't matter much either. But from handicap distances, the picture begins to change. Cut open a cheapie and cut open an STS. The quality of the shot in Estates is poor. Nothing is the same size and they are not round.

Always remember that one chip off from one target will make a difference when the final scores are posted. You want good patterns out there. Good patterns are the result of good shot. Centering those good patterns is a different story.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The Estate shells have the same 6% antimony shot found in there

The Estate shells have the same 6% antimony found on there Gold Metal shells. Same as Win. AA's and STS's as well. The only difference is they use there cheaper powder in the Estate's. Its dirty and smells funny. I don't know if they pattern the same as the Gold Metals or not. I'll shoot them any time. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.