1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Has anyone reloaded Estate Hulls? How do they reload and what compnents do you use?

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

2. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Not the Estate, but some of the other inexpensive target loads. The Top Gun is good for 2 reloads and then will be splitting at the mouth and the Remington Gun Clubs are good for about 6 or so.

These are in 12 ga. hulls.

3. TReX300

TReX300 TS Member

I load them once in awhile if I find some that havent gotten wet. From what the guys at Alliant powder told me they use the same data as the TopGun federal hulls. Which is the 7/16" paper basewad data. I load them once and use them for doubles for my son. They dont last long as the paper wad begins to come apart after a couple shots. They do load up nice though for that first couple times.

Tim

4. mod12shooter

mod12shooter TS Member

Yeah, I use them for my singles and first shot of doubles. I use Promo (or Red Dot) powder, 15.5 grains, a Claybuster replacement wad for the Federal 12S3 (I believe it's a CB-2118), Winchester 209 primer, and reclaimed shot. It's a soft shooting load, less expensive, and breaks targets well when I do my part. In addition, I can switch between AA's and Estates with no changes to my loader (Mec 9000GN with an Automate), only a powder bushing change, and the correct powder.

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Rem. gun clubs will almost last as long as STS's. They're great for reloading.

6. TReX300

TReX300 TS Member

I load them aswell. They usually go for the second shot of doubles. They last 2-3 time then get pitched if I remeber to even pick them up when I'm done. I use Cheddite data for them which what the guys at Alliant suggested. They make for a really nice shell. To bad the plastic on them is so thin and they crack.

Tim

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have been relaoding Estates for well over the past year and have run many 100 st. with them. I have tested them to AA and other well known hulls and find them to be far superior to all. They are made by Federal and seem to last forever. I have loaded some 6 times and can find no cracks in the top crimp line. I load 17.5 grs. 700X I use the Claybuster clone 12so pmc primer and 1 1/8 ounce 8s. It is a very light recoil load and the shells look great when crimped. The 12so is a once wad but works very well as does a TGT remington in a Remington hull as that is also a once wad that can be used for 1 1/8 load. Be sure to use the 12so or 12s3 as that is the wad for Federal. They work very well for me . Bern

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Use the data for Top Gun/Federal Field Hulls etc that can be found in any reloading manual. They load just fine but I did discover they needed alittle more downward thrust on the crimping station of my Mec.

9. TReX300

TReX300 TS Member

Bern...have you ever checked the condtion of the papaer base wad in those hulls after 6 loads. I've never had a problem with the plastic that was on the Challenger but the paper in the Fed/Estate hulls really starts to change (compress or come apart) after a couple of loads. Thats why they shoot so soft. I measured the internal capacity of them and after 2 loads it had increased by over 10% vs. a once fired hull.

Tim

10. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Trex,

Check the OAL of the case ; some of the inexpensive plastic cases grow length-wise due to the force nevessary to open their crimps .

Charlie

11. TC

TC TS Member

Have about one to two thousand once fired plastic base wad Estate hulls if anyone is interested. Tony

12. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

I found that the estate hulls can be reloaded 3 times, my own opinion. I use 18 grains of Promo with claybuster pink 1oz wads, and nobel primers with 1 oz 0f 8 1/2 shot. This is soft shooting and a perfect load for sgls and my 1st shot in dbls. I have a 13 year old son that loves them, he can shoot them all day with no ill effects. This is just my opinion. Big Al

13. kie95

kie95 Member

I agree with Bernie K, I have reloaded them several times with no issues and throw them away when they show wear. I use 17.5 gr 700X with a clay buster 12S3 wad, 1-1/8oz reclaimed or new shot, and Fed 209 primer. They don't compare to new estate shell but do shoot well.

14. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Unless your shooting reclaimed,
    or just like wastin $ on lead these days,
    Shoot the Fed12SO wad,or the CB clone of the S0 wad.
    I load 15/16oz in these, although you could probably load
    1oz in them just fine.
    My 15/16 oz loads will break any target inside 40yds no problem.

15. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

Tony how much you want delivered to 84620 thanks KK

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I find it entertaining to watch a simple question degenerate into a p---ing contest over things never mentioned in the originators post.

Dave, I reload the Estates, but probably not what you're looking for. Win. 209 primer, 27 gr. of Longshot, DR Versalite wad and 1 3/8 oz. of buffered 5's or 4's. I usually load them a couple of times like that and then once with Ched. 209, 19 gr. of Rex II, DR Versalite wad and 1 1/8 of 8's for 16 yd. throwaways.

Buz

17. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Load just like top guns I use 1 oz shot claybuster 12so cloan wad. i have shot my best scores with them. I think recoil is softer than gun clubs.

tom

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

19 gr Clays, Windjammer wad, Fio 616 or Win primer, 1 1/8 oz shot, 1200 fps, soft, load once and pitch hull. Great load.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Top Gun or Estate hull with paper base wad. Fed 12S3 or clone, 18.5 - 18.8 grs Red Dot or Promo, Federal 209A or Rio G-600 primer, 1 1/8oz shot. That gives about 1200 fps and seems like a softer load than it is. For a one ounce load, use about 18.2 - 18.5grs Red Dot or Promo, Fed 12S0 wad or clone, same primers, and 1oz of shot. That also gives about 1200fps and feels softer than it actually is. Now one word of caustion. I use the Federal 209A primer for the first loading and then the Rio G-600 for the second. The main reason is that the primer pocket will expand after a couple of firings and that is a dangerous condition. The Rio primer is oversized and will take up the extra room quite nicely. No real difference in performance either. I do not load these hulls more than two times due to the primer pocket enlargement. The paper base wad just can't keep it together for more than a couple of firings. Look for a little soot around the primer after firing one of these reloads and you'll see what I mean.

20. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

I load once and throw em. Best to use Federal wads or Claybuster look a likes. They give the best seal due to hull taper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.