1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Reloading Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by abiezer, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Ben Ammonette from Alliant say's
    use gold medal data.

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Certainly what Ben says would be safe! However, my hard copy loading data from Alliant indicates you need more powder for the paper base wad Estates, Top Guns, etc to generate the same speed! For example, using 20 grn of g.d., Fed primer, 12S3 wad, yields 1200 fps using Gold Medals! Using the paper base wad plastic shells, the same components call for 21 grns of Green Dot! Even with 21 grns of G. D., the paper base wad shells give less pressure for the same speed. Tom Rhoads

3. abiezer

abiezer Guest

It does take on avg. 1/2 to 1 gr more for the paper b/w's to equal the
    gold medal,but didn't figure i'd throw that in there,
    most folks won't know the difference anyway.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

And what wad for 1 oz?

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Use the Federal wad for 1 ounce loads.

Don Verna

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

This has been covered in depth many times before.

18.2 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 12S0 wad or Claybuster clone, Federal 209A primer or Rio 600, 1oz of decent shot gives about 1200 fps over my chronograph. 18.7 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 12S3 wad, Claybuster or Downrange clone, Federal 209A or Rio primer, 1 1/8 oz of decent shot gives around 1200 fps over my Chrono. These loads have been tested at fairly cold temps and have given good results. The Downrange clone of the 12S3 works pretty well. All pattern testing was decent for all of these loads. The Federal wads seemed to be marginally better, but the 12S3 and the Downrange DRF8 seemed about equal. Testing was done at different times, so the results were within a reasonable margin of error, considering only ten samples were fired of each load. I don't have pressure data for these loads, but data for higher velocity loads using the same components and powders were well within limits, so I'd expect these to be under 9500 psi.

I load the Federal Primer on the first loading and then the Rio for the second, since it is oversized. It will help seal the case better, since the paper base wad seems to allow a little gas leakage after the first loading on many of them. I toss them after the first or second loading.

I have had issues with some wads designed for tapered hulls like the Remington or Winchester. I settled on the Federal type wads since they worked rather well. They are designed for a straight wall hull. If you want to avoid a lot of experimentation and possibly poor results, the loads I listed above will work well. I have also used Clays powder and several others with decent success. I settled on Red Dot and Promo, since I have/use a lot of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.