1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate reload w/ Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There have been quite a few threads about Estate hull reloads, but I've not seen any with Red Dot or Clays powder. I would also like to use a Windjammer Wad. Any data available on a 1145 - 1200fps load w/ these components?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use Federal data, for top gun, game load, or Gold Medal. I would not use a windjammer wad as the diameter of the hull is larger than the AA or STS.

I would use a Federal or Claybuster 12SO or a CB Red 8.

HM

3. Bob Farne

Bob Farne Member

I have been loading the Estate hulls for about two years now. Only reload them twice because of my fears of the paper base wad. I used the Federal 12S3 wad until I ran out of them and now use the Winchester ORANGE WT12 wad. They are quite a bit cheaper than the other Winchester wads. Their over powder cup diameter is the same as the Federal 12S3 made for straight wall hulls as mentioned above. I use 17.5 grains of Promo, for light loads and 18.5 of Promo for medium speed loads. They work very well for me and just a cautionary word: always weigh your powder charges.

Good loading to you. Bob

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob. I've used the Windjammer quite a bit in the Gold Metal hull and liked it. I thought it should work in the Estates too. I'll mic the base wads and see if their close to the 12S3 and WT-12.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Setterman

Federal 12S3 or Claybuster CB2118-12 for 1 1/8 oz loads with 18 grs of Red Dot using a Federal 209A primer gets you in the ball park. For the 1oz loads, use the 12S0 or CB2100-12 Claybuster, 18 to 18.5 grains of Red Dot and the Federal primer. These loads are for the paper base wad style hulls and work in the Federal Top Gun hulls also. The crimps should be decent with the wads I mentioned and the velocity in the range you asked for. I have tried the Windjammer wads in these hulls and was not satisfied with the consistency or patterns. I tend to use wads intended for the type of hulls I'm loading. Your mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best red dot reload