1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Hulls ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bustedemall, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

Ok, I've come accross a bunch of the red Estate hulls for free. I have a bunch of leftover Remington tgt12s wads and a lot of Clays and International clays powder. Will the Remington wads and Estate hulls work ok together? I'd like to put together a nice light 1 oz load for 16's. Thanks all

2. BMC

BMC Member

I believe the Estates are the same as the Federal plastic hulls. I've loaded thousands of the Feds using the TGT12S wad and they seem to work great. Actually out of the three wads I tried in that hull, the TGT gave me what I felt were the best, most consistent results. I wouldn't use the hulls more than once though. Good for one load, then retire them.

3. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

Thanks for the info BMC.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The Estate hull is a straight-walled hull and the remington TGT wad is made for tapered hulls like the Remington hulls.

That said, they may work fine, but most folks recopmmend you use a wad made for a straight walled hull with straight wall hulls.

Federal makes such wads.

5. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

If anyone wants some once fired Estates in Southern NH let me know. I have a bunch. I don't reload but it seems like a sin to just toss them. ( My wife calls me a pack rat.)

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

MIA

Lots of folks like the 12S0 by Federal, or one of its clones.

Or so I've heard...

7. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I bought some Downrange DR-XXL 7/8 ounce wads. They work really well with 1 ounce of shot, 17.2 clays and win primer. The wads are a Dark Pink color

8. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Downrange has just started making a 1 oz wad for straight hulls. The DR XXL 1 Orange.

9. BrooklynPrep69

BrooklynPrep69 TS Member

There are thousands of these available at Bucks County Fish and Game. Free!

10. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Been loading Estate hulls for about 3 years now. I use CB 12SO as many other shooters on here. I used to load them with 1 1/8oz the same as with a Rem. TGT that can be used with 1 oz or 1 1/8. All my loads for 16s are now 1`os I see no differance in the breaks. Very little recoil with the Estate hulls, also I have loaded some 8 to 10 times just to see how the plastic holds up and the answer is great no splits at the crimp.
    Load a few 1 oz and have a friend give you the shell not telling you if it's 1oz or 1 1/8, the mind is a bad , bad thing when trying something new. If you don't know the target will break just fine. Bernie

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Federal 12S3 or clone for 1 1/8 oz and the Federal 12S0 or clone for 1 oz. Downrange just came out with a clone of the 12S3 for 1 1/8 ounce and it is a great wad. Federal 209A primer, 18-19 grains of Red Dot or Promo with either wad and shot charge. Green Dot would work as well. Somewhere between 19.5 and 21 grains, depending on how fast you want them with 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz. I'm hoping Downrange will add the 12S0 clone to the line up.

18.4 grains of Promo with 12S0 and 1 oz of shot went close to 1200 fps.

18.7 grains of Promo with 12S3 and 1 1/8 oz of shot went close to 1180 fps.

20.5 grains of Green Dot gave a bit under 1200 fps with 1 1/8 ounce of shot w/ 12S3.

21.0 grains of Green Dot gave close to 1220 fps with 1 oz of shot w/ 12S0.

Red Dot was almost identical for velocities when used in place of Promo at the same charge weights. (different bushings)

You can use Unique or Universal Clays to get the 1 1/8 ounce up over 1250 fps if you really need to.

As for the choice in wads, these hulls are straight walled and seem to work best with a wad designed for a straight walled hull. You can use a wad intended for a tapered hull like the Winchester AA or Remington STS, but I don't, since there are more appropriate choices available.

I don't load these hulls more than a couple of times. The primer pocket gets loose after a couple of firings with a standard sized 209 primer because of the fiber/paper base wads. If you really need to, you can load them that last time with a Rio primer, or other oversized primer, to seal the hull for that last shot. I toss them before that. If you see soot around the primer, toss them.

12. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I forgot to mention that my once fired Estates are "free to a good home." Never been on the ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.