1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I've checked the Alliant and Hogdon reloading manuals and can't find any data for Estate hulls. Is there a reason they can't be reloaded once or twice for practice ? Anyone know where there is a good published receipe for a 1oz. load at about 1180 fps. ?
    Thanks

2. clayman51

clayman51 Member

It is a Federal made hull. I called and ask Federal about reloading the hull and was told to use the same data as a federal gold medal hull. I reload them once or twice and have never had a problem with the load. The base is steel and is harder on the re-sizer than other hulls but I still find it to be a good re-loadable hull.I find after two reloads the crimp is not as good so they get discarded.

I use a claybuster 12s3 wad and clays or 700x powder (30 mec bushing) and a Winchester primer.

Dennis

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

FNG:

Federal bought Estate a number of years ago. The non-Federal version are European and were made by Cheddite. The Cheddite version has a plastic base wad. A few still show up once in a while.

Estates produced by Federal have a wound paper base wad. According to Alliant, data published for Federal Top Gun type hulls is appropriate for the Federal made Estates. You'll find that data in somewhat older Alliant manuals. If you don't have access to older manuals drop me a PM and I can help.

sissy

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Estate hull is very similar to a Federal Gold Medal. The plastic tube has a slightly thinner wall making the inside diameter larger than the Gold Medal. You need to use a wad designed for a straight wall hull.

The Federal 12S3 wad will load well with Clays powder. 17.5 grains of Clays should provide what you a are looking for.

Jim Skeel

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use promo amd the Fed SO wads for 1 oz.loads.Jerry

6. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks very much for all the info. This gives me something to work with. I'm going to try 17.8 gr. of Clay Dot (I already have that bushing !) with a Claybuster 210012 wad (the equivalent of the Fed 12SO for 1 oz. of shot). I appreciate the help.
    Phil Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.