1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate/Garage Sales for Reloading...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Economics can make for LUCK, where "opportunity meets preparation"...

Money is tighter for some than for others. Also, unexpected family/health changes create unexpected buying opportunities, so be prepared to act.

One of our guys drove up the other day, loaded down with 1000s of hulls (Remington STS, Premier, Nitro, Gun Club, Old AA, HS AA), Winchester primers, Alliant and Rex Powders, Remington, Winchester, Claybuster, Duster and Downrange wads and lead - had to have 50 bags of 7-1/2, 3 bags of 9s. I wasn't sure his shocks were going to hold out, but then that wasn't my concern.

My concern was whether any of that "weight" was going to get transferred over to cargo area of my Exploder! I knew what he wanted for the widow of a friend (today's pricing). But at the same time, I knew what the market "was", what I could afford and what was "fair" given the circumstances.

The early bird catches the worm and gets his choice. He took a check, the transaction happened and I came home with some components I regularly use and the #9s (Yes, even us Steel guys continue to shoot some lead).

Lead - $25/bag (3/9s);
    Primers - $25/1000;
    Wads - $10/1000;
    Hulls - $25/1000 (Premiers)

Good prices, didn't steal anything, but better than buying retail and the widow got a fair check...

Recently, when a personal buddy was getting out of reloading, who used components I didn't, I brokered his... he got a good, fair check and fellow members got a deal too...

MEC 20 gauge 650 with a 77 resizer $175;
    Lead - $25/bag (7-1/2s);
    Remington Figure 8 wads $15/1000

Garage/Estate Sales... excellent oppotunities to purchase good reloading components... Keep your Eyes Open and Checkbook Handy, there are buying opportunities to offset the increased costs of materials. In retrospect, most folks are getting most everything out of their components that they paid for them and WE still get a bargain in the process!

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.