1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Cartridge reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuckie68, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Does anybody have any "recipes" for reloading Estate Cartridges? Primarliy 12 ga. I have scads of empties and can't seem to get them to crimp very well with 17gr. 700-X, or 17.5gr. Red Dot and Claybuster wads, 1-1/8oz. shot. Thanks for any help. and you can e-mail me with info if you prefer.
    Thanks again,
    Chuck Stevens

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Use the Federal load data for Estate hulls.

3. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Your loads are fine. They should work great for 16 and mid yardage. I sometimes use 16.5 grs. of 700x for 16 yard with a claybuster 12s3 style wad. My crimps are OK using a MEC 650. They do not look like factory, but they also do not look like they are going to open up in the box. By the way, it is the same hull as the Fed top gun.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I get great loads with the Windjammer wad. Just loaded about 500 rds with 20 gr Solo 1000.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

First make sure they are made by Federal. In the beginning the company used Cheditte hulls prior to being bought by Federal. If they are the former of course use data for those hulls but I would still think you would be in the ball park of data with your load and as such should be getting decent crimps. If latter, do as above state for data. It sounds as though you made need to adjust crimp or starter crimp also.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I reloaded this summer using Fed wads on a 9000G. Used W209 primers. Had to make a minor crimp adjustment. Shells worked fine.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The 17 grs. of 700X (or less) with a 1 oz. payload will crimp just fine, may take you a few shells to tweak your loader, but the end result is worth it.

I have a older model Hornady 366 which I can reload light 1 oz. to heavy 1-1/8 oz. loads without further crimp adjustments.

Curt

8. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/FP294_ShotshellReloadingData.pdf

Here's the reloading data from the Federal website. Look at the loads for the Top Gun shell.
    OtH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
estate ammo reloading data

estate cartridge reloading data

estate reloading data