1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Auctions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gcessna, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcessna

gcessna Member

I went to a deceased neighbors estate sale. He was a Viet vet. Laying on the table to be auctioned was a live 105mm HE (high explosive)howitzer projectile with a PD fuze. there was also a 40mm HE round. I pointed it out to the Auctioner and he said I better set this somewhere so some one doesn't get hurt. Some one, how about everyone.

Gary

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Amazing.

My brother's hillbilly buddy once showed up with two crates of "surplus" baseball-style hand grenades he'd just bought from some drunk at a bar. I didn't believe they were live, but soon learned otherwise. It was likely a felony to even possess them.

-Gary

3. gcessna

gcessna Member

Those would be great for fishing!!

gary

4. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

The darndest things show up in estate auctions.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You all have no idea whats in peoples attics, basement, barns.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

What's the burst range of those baseball tear gas grenades? Early 70s vintage.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's grandfather worked at International Harvester here in Milwaukee during WWll. At the age of 10, he took me into his Grandpa's basement to show me some of the artillery shells that his grandpa helped make during the war. From what I could see these shells were live. He had four shells in different sizes in the basement. Have no idea why he had them.
    Steve Balistreri

8. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

Anybody run across some of those grendades for sale let me know.

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

When I was in the reserves one Sunday morning two locals walked into my office and wanted to show me what they had found in between a set of walls in a house they were remodeling. 15 rounds of 5" in the back of a pickup truck. "Woops, I'd better go get someone" was my first thought. "There's more back at the house" one of them exclaimed as I went inside to find someone of authority. We gingerly removed the shells from the back of the pick up and put them into a warehouse area. We then called an EOD unit from Norfolk to determine what we had and to get a suggestion of what to do with the others that were still at the house. The EOD guy on duty told us to look at some numbers on the projectile of the shells. Turns out 2 of the rounds were smoke and the other 13 that we had were HE (high explosive). They shut down the base and called the State Police who evacuated one end of the town. Keep in mind I'm still on post about 50 yards away from where these things are. They brought in an EOD team out of Norfolk to get the other 27 shells out of the house. After all the shells out of the house had been brought to the base, they sent us reservest home. The next time we went down for a weekend drill, nothing was said about what happened to the 5" shells. I did notice that all the buildings were still standing. So I suppose all went well.

10. scorpman

scorpman Member

Sounds like the stories I get at work. My company does a household harzardous waste collection for surrounding towns on the weekends in the summer. Most people bring down their used oil, paint cans, fertilizer, bug sprays, etc. Then we get the little old lady who's husband pasted away and she is cleaning out his "junk". He was a home chemist and she has his old bottles of "stuff" rattling around in a box in the back of her car. Not sure what it was last year, but one bottle had crystalized residue around the top and I was told it was highly volatile in that state. Collection was shut down, people evacuated from the site. The bomb squad was called in and the bottle was detonated on site. Lucky her car didn't blow up on the highway getting to us.

11. MR870

MR870 Member

Years ago a lady friend of mine told me she was having a yard sale and was selling most of her ex husband's junk.It was an abandonment divorce.He told her he was leaving for another woman out of state and he had already filed on grounds of adultery.Needless to say she was pissed with the ex.I asked if there were any guns and she said yes.I could buy all five for $100 bucks.I asked what they were and she said guns.So I went to her house that night to pay and get them but I found out guns were an understatement.5 nib Browning Sweet 16's Belgiums with a spare barrel apiece and consecutive serial numbers.I told her they were worth more than 100 bucks.Ten minutes later I had a buyer on the phone and an hour later he was buying them for $15 k.I got a finders fee of $2500.Her husband called about two years later and said he was in the area and was going to pick up his guns.She told him she had sold them at a yard sale for $100 dollars and that she would leave $50 in the mailbox for his half.Her quote was,"I hope that tail he left me for was worth $15k!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.