1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate 28 Gauge Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Does anyone reload Estate 28 gauge hulls? Are they the same as Federal 28 gauge hulls?

Jim Skeel

2. coltlover

coltlover Member

Don't know if they are the same as Fed, but have been reloading them just like Feds. Unique or Longshot powder. PC Blue or Duster wad. Very easy to load. Have 3,000 of these. Dread when they give up the ghost (6-8 loads maybe). Have 10,000 Win HS hulls. Not nearly as easy to fit components in the hull.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Had a bad experience w/ the half dozen or so I loaded. Half of them ended up being zingers on the first reload. They are quite similar to the gold medal hull, but definitely not the same.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

According to Hodgdon, reload them exactly the same.

Use the Federal 28S1 wad for best results. Both the Estates and the Federals use that wad.

I found the Downrange PC Blue wad (as Kevin Lewis said) to fit like a Volkswagen in a 2-car garage. Very loose.

I use Universal Clays powder.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Where does Hodgdon list any data for Estate hulls?

Jim Skeel

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I use the data for Federal Plastic Target Shells based on my communications with Hodgdon.

But to be sure, you really ought to call them and speak to them yourself.

I recommend you talk with Ron Reiber if he is available. He is their 28 gauge guru.

7. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I have some 28 Ga Federal "Gold Medal" straight-wall reifenhauser (sp?) with the fiber base wads, just like 12 Ga Top Gun, Wallys, and Estate hulls. Using the Federal 28S1 wads with Universal Clays and Unique they load perfectly for volume with great crimps. However I doubt if you'll get 7 or 8 loads based upon the life of the similiar 12 Ga hulls referenced above. Do not use wads for tapered hulls in these or you'll experience some strange "boink" reports, etc. They are not made for the straight wall hulls. I wouldn't mind acquiring some more of those in either Federal or Estate...same thing.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 gauge estate hulls
28 gauge federal hulls
estate 28 gauge
estate 28 gauge reloading data
reloading 28 gauge estate hulls
reloading data for 28 ga estate shells

reloading estate 28 gauge

reloading for estate 28 gauge shot shells