1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

esophagus streching

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by d endicott, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d endicott

d endicott Member

I would like to know if anyone has had this done? Any and all info would be great. Thanks

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I had mine compressed once. Angry biker dude. I smiled at his girlfriend.

-Gary

3. fly

fly Active Member

Just had it done Tuesday. Felt like there was a golfball stuck in my throat for 2 1/2 days after. It's about 90% today.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

WTF?

I just plowed snow for 24 hrs straight, my esophagus and neck feels stretched from all the twisting and turning.

5. 88oliver

88oliver Member

Brother has had it done , sent you a PM

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

What would be the purpose?

JON

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

Purpose? Opening a stricture (narrowing) that precludes effective swallowing, especially of solid food. Stricture may be due to achalasia, a condition that is caused by failure of the muscle bands of the lower esophagus (food tube) to relax. In Brazil it can also be caused by a parasitic infestation called Chagras Disease. The most common cause of stricture is scarring of the lower esophagus as a result of long standing reflux of gastric acid (hydrochloric) from the stomach into the esophagus. ........................AJ

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I think Linda Lovelace had it done.

9. cp

cp TS Member

Zardozforty: What kind of Med or meds are you taking for the GERD. Also, when does it bother you the most? I have been using Nexium & Reglan. I still get regular bouts with the reflux. No problem during the day, just when I sleep, it will kick in about three hours. Then it is hell.
    Now I hear there is a class action suit against the makers of Reglan.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have you tried raising the headboard end of your bed so that your head is higher when you sleep. HMB

11. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I am not a doctor and there are doctors here with medical advice.

Many issues can cause esphogus constriction, besides GURD. My son is diagnosed with eosynophilic esophagitis. This is an allergic condition where certain white cells present in the body, and can cause inflamation or other damage. He needed an emergency endoscopy because a peice of hotdog lodged in his throat. If this happens to you, go the the ER - a ruptured espohogus is "potentially devastating....." as our GI doc said.

My, age 20, had to have his esophagus stretched 4 times, from 8mm up to about 13mm over a 1 year period. Change in diet and medication have eliminated the allergic reaction.

Lesson- ask your GI doc about non GURD issues, & take action. Non treated GUD can result in eroding esophogus, Barrett's disease, and other bad things, way worse than heartburn.

PS - from personal experience in GURD, (I am not offereing medical advice) I have found that the following practices have helped me to avoid GURD. For a while I woke nightly with such pain across my chest that I thought I was in a big rubber band.

Stop acid juices, ie. orange juice or grapefruit juice. Don't eat after 7pm. Eat smaller meals. Don't accumluate consecutive Italian meals, Mexican meals, etc. Stop daily coffee. Drink low acid coffee, decaf, & only on weekends. Stop red wine (well, not always) - fall asleep on your left side (really), slightly elevated upper body, and don't go to bed until 3 hours after eating.

also, keep your cheek against the comb.

good luck.

js in PA

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get this screwed up and you will die an agonizing death after many years of follow up surgery

Tread carefully

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard of the extremes of this problem. I take OMEPRAZOLE 20 mg twice a day and it has stopped the GURD.

JON

14. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Schatzki Ring. Would constrict in the middle of dinner. Constantly had to excuse myself and throw up - then I was fine. Royal pita in a restaurant _ would say I needed some air and throw up outside.

Stretching the Esophagus was done with a general anesthesia. I've been fine for about 10 years. Maalox, Mylanta, Tums, Baking soda, Tagament, Zantac, Previcid, Prontonix and now Nexium. I've tried them all - last four have worked best.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Hoosier Daddy I actually performed that procedure for her, all done naturally I was glad to help.

16. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I have a friend that has this problem. I doubt he knows why and I'd love to send him a link....Can anyone help me with a link? Thanks!

17. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

My father suffered from GURD and has had his esophagus dilated several times. He also had a Schatzki Ring. He ruptured his esophagus on two different occasions. The first was due to violent vomitting as a result of food poisening. It was torn the second time during an esophagus dilation procedure. He has been taking PRILOSEC for at least 15 yrs and is very careful about his diet and eating habits and hasn't had any problems or procedures for at least 10 years. He will turn 77 old in about a week and is doing quite well.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My father had his done and no longer chokes up while eating. At one time he could not finish a meal without choking and having to wait for hours to get everything down.

19. d endicott

d endicott Member

I would like to thank everyone that responded to this thread....it is to me, very important and maybe to other also. thank you again for your response, but please don't stop, we can all learn something from this. Thanks

20. Neal S S

Neal S S TS Member

My doctor helped me locate a Surgeon that removed the upper 4 inches of my throat tube, esophagus I sufferd a Accident and had a Breathing tube installed for over 120 days. After this was removed my throat grew almost completly across causing a Breathing and swallowing problem! So I had it removed .It was a Success I breath And eat much better . The surgery itself took about 4 hours.Recovery about 2 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.