1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Escondido Fish and Game Association CA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rvhj, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvhj

rvhj TS Member

Jan 17, 2012
    My days are numbered........
    Shooting new Winchester AA Heavy Target 8's through my Model 12 at Escondido Fish and Game in CA. One of the shells sounded a little different. Not enough to signal a stuck wad, just a little different.

I ejected the hull, inspected it and then looked down the barrel---from the muzzle end to assure myself that the barrel was clear. OH NO, I HAVE APARRENTLY committed a terrible sin. The puller hollered to never look down the barrel. Only use a stick, which he held up for me to come get and use.

I asked what do you do to verify a separated hull is not in the barrel...His answer is only use a stick. I state that a stick can slide by a separated hull and not be positive of a clear barrel. ANS: Only use a stick. Never look down the barrel.

Sigh...I ask do you only use a stick when inspecting your pistol and revolver barrels, ANS: Yes

When I am done I ask if this applies to lever action rifles, falling block guns and automatics? ANS: Yes, never look down the barrel of any gun, always use a stick. If you continue to look down the barrel of your gun when requested to use a stick you may be asked to leave the range and possibly be banned from shooting here.

I guess I am on the verge of running out of places to shoot before I run out of ammunition.

It would appear to me that the current 4 hour hunter safety course in CA which specializes in about 3 hours of identifying species of duck by its feather patterns, color and shape has killed all, (or almost all) of the common sense in firearms safety.

I should not complain, I guess....I suppose the stick will dislodge or adequately clear the barrel of the gum wrappers, ear plugs and such that the range quests like to insert in a barrel to see the reaction of a shooter at the flying debris.

THOU SHALT NOT LOOK DOWN THE BARREL OF ANY GUN. My days are numbered.......
  2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Lakeside, California
    I shoot there occasionally for our "Interclub" competitions we have with Escondido. The last time we shot there (last Summer) my buddy got so mad at the scorekeeper I thought he was going to walk off the event and quit.

The scorekeeper kept yelling at him to not close his gun until it was his turn to shoot. My buddy shoots ATA all the time, is an extremely safe shooter and one of the best shooters in the state of California. The ATA does not regulate when you close your gun, so he is accustomed to closing it right after he shoots and then waits for his next turn. All the big dogs do this.

Anyway it appears you have to follow the rules of each range, as my buddy got yelled at 3 times. He was really shook up over this...and I had to calm him down to finish the event.
  3. BD457

BD457 Member

Sep 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm appalled at your complete lack of professionalism. Not even barrel manufactures look down the barrel. If you're ever considering buying a used gun, ALWAYS take a stick that is approximately .002 smaller than the barrel I.D. if you want to check it. Oh...and don't fall for that curved piece of plastic that sticks on the end of a flashlight for illuminating the inside of a barrel, that's just snake oil used to separate a fool from his money. EVERYBODY knows that even if you were to stick it in the open chamber and turn the light on, you are FORBIDEN from looking down the other end. Sheesh........what are you, new?

RSO = Range Security Officer

P.S. you won't get away with that at P2K either
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

escondido fish & game association news letter february