1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Erroneous credit card bill?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Well it finally happened, was checking credit card history a few minutes ago & there is a transaction that is obviously not one I made, what next-----Phil

2. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Contact the credit card company and tell them there is a fraudulent charge on your bill. In some cases they will give you credit right away, this is known as an immediate chargeback and usually happens in cases of apparent (to them) fraud. In other cases, they will issue a pending credit and ask the vendor for documentation for the sale. If the documentation is not forthcoming or is improper, the merchant will be charged back and your pending credit will be changed to a regular credit. If the documentation is provided, you will be notified that it appears that the charge appears to be correct. At that point you can ask to take the case to pre-arbitration. There is a fee for this process that is paid by the loser. I believe that fee is currently about $150.00. Most merchants will not proceed to this step unless they are very confident that they will win the case. After pre-arbitration, you can request binding arbitration. I deal with this stuff everyday in my job and have seen only two pre-arbs in four years and have not seen any binding arbitrations.

Quite often, people will forget purchases that are outside their normal spending habits. The documentation will come in and jar their memory. In my case, we have charges that are out of the normal that get charged once a year and people simply don't recall until the documentation comes in. In other cases, the spouse or listed child will charge something without telling the primary card holder. In rare cases the customer will claim a defect in the product and will file a claim. In some cases, the vendor will accidentally charge a customer more than once. I do not recall any cases that I have been involved in where the final outcome was not correct for both the buyer and seller. I'm sure they exist but I have not experienced them.

Please know that this process all takes time. Usually vendors are given 30 days to provide documentation with Discover or American Express and about ten days for Visa and MasterCard. Debit cards usually allow only two or three days because the money has already been taken from the customer's account. Be patient and honest and it should work out fine.

Good luck.

Bob

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First, call the merchant listed and ask them about the charge. It may be a purchase you forgot about or the merchant account is in a name that you aren't associating with the product. It also could be a charge made by a family member. At least you will know what the charge is for. If after talking to the merchant you have determined it is not your purchase, then call the credit card company and go through the dispute process.

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

The charge was for a Motel, haven't stayed in a motel for one month, we did a cross country trip over Thanksgiving. Hope it is a belated bill.----Don't want tooo many negative thoughts these days----Phil

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- I certainly hope, as you do, it is a belated bill. Mysterious charges for a motel room are certainly things that make us question.

Pat Ireland

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I bought a barrel wieght and used a credit card. When the bill finally appeared on my statement, it was from XXX's Ear and Eye! I disputed the charge, because I had not bought hearing or eye protection with a credit card lately. When documentation came back, I felt silly, but the company name did not match the product I bought.

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

If you folks would save your receipts until the bill comes, it might save a lot of trouble, not to mention embarrassment.

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Chat Brat the motel wasn't in the Wisconsin area was it becasue I had a friend that used my credit card just to get a room even though they paid cash at the time of registering in but the clerk said we still have to have a credit card number for security reasons so they didn't have one so called and got mine and told me that they just paid them the cash but the clerk said she didn't have a reciept book that night so get one the next morning.

Well when they went to check out there was no clerk at the desk and they was in a hurry to leave because they was running late so since the room was already paid for then thought every thing was fine.

Well when I got my credit card bill they had charged me the 48.00 also on the card.

I called the credit card co. and they put a hold on that charge, and the motel claimed my friend didn't pay cash since there was no reciept made out anyway after a few months on the credit card bills it still showed as pending but now it is completly gone from the bill.

I also wrote a letter to the manager on what I thought that happened I think the clerk stuff the cash and decided to charge me for it also I know the friend real well and they are not the kind to lie to me about something like a 48.00 charge.

foggy

9. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I am admittedly paranoid about identity thieves and check my credit account daily using the credit cards 800 number. If there is a questionable charge I know about it within 24 hours of posting. This has happened only once in x years. I made a hotel reservation at a hotel I have used many times and they charged me 1 nights lodging in advance. This had never been their policy in the past and I wasn't told about it. A call to the credit card company for an explanation, then a call to the hotel cleared the matter! If your card company offers the same service I suggest using it frequently!

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Call your credit card company, but rather than immediately disputing the charge, ask them to outline the course of action they would suggest you take to resolve this episode. This will alert them to the appearance of the charge on your bill and it will put you in the position of having determined what protocol they want you to follow to satisfy any "unusual" requirement they may have hidden in the finer print.

Most importantly...TAKE NOTES! Get the names and positions of everyone you speak with and record the date and time of each exchange. Take notes on what each person tells you and what you ask each person you talk to.

Morgan

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

geneleroy, why use the old fashoned 800 number? Why not just use the internet since it's so much easier and quicker. If you also use Quicken, you can download transactions for all credit card, bank, mutual fund and brokerage accounts within a couple of minutes. There is no better way to stay on top of things.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

We got a call from our credit card company that 139 pairs of womens shoes were charged to our account! They wanted to know if that was our purchase since we never bought anything in those amounts. All purchased from the same store in LA. The credit card co. put a stop on that transaction pretty quick. You can't be too careful, crooks are everywhere and into everything!! Hap

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- I too have been called by my credit card company about what appeared to be unusual purchases made a long way from my home address. In these instances, the charges were correct. My wife always travels to shoots with me. After we check into a motel, our first order of business is to locate the nearest U-Haul dealer. We always carry two car top carriers and a U-Hitch rack that goes on the back of our SUV. The hitch rack has a custom case (18X 60X 50) that holds a lot of stuff. Frequently we run out or room after just a few days. My wife has great fun at trap shoots and she wants me to shoot much more than I now shoot. I am dumped off at shoots around 8 AM and she always comes back for me around 6 PM.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

14. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Earl, lighten up. You sound like a teacher I once had.........Roger

15. smartass

smartass TS Member

Earl, you can't really be that ignorant- it's impossible. I'm going to assume it's just that time of the month for you to be bitchy.

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I received a phone call on a Sunday afternoon a while back. The gentleman wanted to verify some charges on my card. Turns out someone got hold of my card number and racked up several hundred dollars of charges that Sunday! The man from the credit card company explained that they have sophisticated programs to identify out of the ordinary charges. I asked how the criminal acquired my card number and they said that the bad guys have sophisticated computer programs too!

They deleted all the charges that were not mine, cancelled my card and mailed me a new card. I received the new card in three days!

Thanks Chase! Great service and cash back at the end of the year.

Jim Skeel

17. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I travel alot for the magazine I work for, and I get quite a few double billings on hotels. You gotta keep on top of them or they will stick it to you. A hotel guy I talked to, said 3 out of 10 catch the double billing. Thats a pretty good extra chunk of cash they make off it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.