1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

erratic powder weight in mec 9000

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flchevelleman, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flchevelleman

flchevelleman TS Member

Bought a new rangemaster 750 scale. calibrated it,(awsome unit) loading red dot WITH powder baffel. trying to load 19.5 grains .using mec bushing 37 is at 19.4-19.1 several checks... Get in the groove load 100 check twice 19.1 and 18.7, put another 100 primers in going good check 18.6 then 18.9, tap powder get 19.2 go 25 more THEN 17.4 WHAT were does this come from? IS this normal? Tap on bottle get some 19 3?? Its a MEC 9000 H hydraulic unit. im going pretty fast? 100 in 10 to 15 min or so. I am using the LARGE bottle too, dont like running out. Is this ok or par for the course?
    Thanks, Tim

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

LARGE bottle? Is that the one MEC calls the SHOT container?

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Make sure that on the handle down-stroke that the charge bar is pushed all the way to the LEFT. I had the same problem this past Fall and after pulling out what little bit of hair I have left, I noticed that the right edge of the charge bar was about 3/16" from being flush with the chrome housing. I adjusted the little nut on the end of the long rod and now it works perfect again.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tim I load with a MEC 9000H also. The key to getting more consistant drops is the hold at the bottom of the stroke for a second. This allows the powder bushing to fill up. I use the tall bottle also and I get a couple tenths variation from the top to about two thirds empty. I usually fill it when it's about half empty. I also have a dryer fabric softener sheet wraped on the outside to kill static.

Jimmy

5. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Slow down a bit. Stop the press on bottom for a second, let the pump growl a bit. Give the bushing a little bit of time to fill up. The bar slides over and fills up when your on bottom, on the way up the powder drops. I've been using the pattern control baffle with the small bottle and I top it off every 200 primers. I'm using Solo 1000 but Red Dot should meter just as good. On the way up I ride the pedal to stop it just for a second to let the powder finish dropping, if I don't some of the powder is still dribbling out and all over the press. You can adjust the petcock on the hydraulic cylinder to slow it down on the way up also. I just like it going up as fast as possible.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thirty-seven bushing and Red Dot? Thirty -seven? Thats way, way too big. You have some serious problem. Quit loading until you solve it. Seriously. Quit loading until you solve it! Plus you are using a awful lot of Red Dot anyway. - how fast is 19.4 grains supposed to go, anyway?

Neil

7. flchevelleman

flchevelleman TS Member

Reloader's Guide
    Alliant Powder Reload Recipes

Recipe
    Shotshell
    12 Gauge
    2 3/4-in. Winchester AA Plastic Shells
    1 shot wt.
    Win 209
    CB 1100-12

Dram Equiv. Shot Wt.
    (ounces) Velocity
    (fps) Primer Powder Wad Grains Approx. psi
    --- 1 1,300 Win 209 Red Dot CB 1100-12 19.5 8,900

8. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Make sure that the brass washer under the rubber grommet but above the charge bar is not worn nor upside down. I've had the brass washer slip and partially block the powder drop resulting in a short charge. Bob

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Listen to Neil.

10. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

You should be using bushing 31 or 32 to achieve 19gn, But you need to look at your scale and make sure that it is set on grans instead of grams that will make a big difference and through you off big time, always ck your digital scale with a boom scale to make sure it it corresponds with each other. Please don't load or shot anything until you get this straightened out, if you need further help I can be reached at 423-743-9233.

thanks
    lee

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Mec and see if they can help you out. Don't load until you get this resolved. Be sure to double check that loading data, since you might need a reality check.

I would also suggest removing the powder baffle and checking the washers between the bottle and the press. Powder baffles will sometimes cause issues with powder drops. If it isn't there, it won't give you any trouble. I've had them bridge with powders like Red Dot. Don't care which one it is, they both have given me grief. I won't use one anymore. Be sure the charge bar makes a FULL cycle in both directions and be certain there are no obstructions or foreign material in the drop tubes. You should also pause for a second or so on the bottom of the down stroke to allow the powder to fill the bushing. A 37 bushing sounds WAY too big for Red Dot. I would check the scale and be certain about the drop weights.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

He's OK with 19.5 of Red Dot as long as he stays with 1oz shot and the CB1100-12 wad. That load is in the Alliant book/Website.

My MEC #34 bushing drops 18.5 gr Red Dot. #33 drops 18.0 gr Red Dot. I don't see how a #31 or #30 would drop 19+/- gr. Batches or Red Dot have not varied that much for me. Powder drops can vary .5 grains but the average with Red Dot for me is about .2 -.3gr

You may have: Your loader vibrating too much while in operation. Bolted down?.
    Static electricity in your powder bottle? Bad scale? Also check your charge bar and make sure it is sliding smoothly. Some shot may have been sheared off and stuck in the slide compartment.

Above all else, call MEC. They will a procedure to check your machine and what to look for.

13. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Where I came up with bushing 31 or 32 is from the the MEC web site. I don't load Red Dot so I don't know if the bushings drop as posted but that is a starting point only to go by.

lee

14. flchevelleman

flchevelleman TS Member

Thanks all,
    Marlon hit it on the head, charge bar was not moving all the way in(to the powder side}. Could then see the jam nut had moved on the threaded rod on the right side. Now have a 34 bushing in and getting 19.4/19.5. Alliant spec AA HULL 1 oz. 1300 fps/ winchester 209/19.5 gn red dot/ cb 1100-12. There definatly is some static though... going to try the fabric sheet.
    Thanks, lets dust some clays! Tim

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Tim,

The charge bar must move all the way to the left. Hopefully your adjustment took care of that. Also, the bar must return all the way to the right on the upstroke. Sometimes insufficient tension on the return spring will hamper that. You can bend the tab on the left end of the bar that holds the return spring out to the left just a tad. This will increase the spring pressure just slightly. You can also place a flat washer or two under the bolt that holds the tab in place to accomplish the same thing.

Do not over tighten the bottles. Check the brass washer. Keep the powder bottle at least half full at all times. Hold the handle in the down stroke position for a bit longer than you had been. As you do these things, weigh every other load or so to check for consistency until you getting within an acceptable tolerance.

These things are finicky when it comes to achieving consistent powder drops. Watch the bar move left on the downstroke. Watch the bar move right on the upstroke. Watch the primer drop into the carrier. Celebrate! Finally, DO NOT use a powder baffle. AveragEd will be along shortly to fill in the rest of the blanks I forgot about.

Good luck,

Jon Reitz

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All of you better read the Alliant Reloaders guide, 1 ounce in a AA HS hull w/CB-1100 wad 19.5 grs of red dot is printed as 8900psi but 19 grs is 9300psi
    same recipe. but the powder bushing should be around a #32 or a#33 Mec bushing
    a 37 bushing is 22.7 grs, that is too much. I think you need to look at the charge bar to see if the screw is going to the end of the slide, as pointed out earlier post. If it is dropping 19 +or- grs it is mis-marked. Check powder scale balance bar, or Digital Powder scale w/known weight.

Now to load a Federal Gold Medal w 1 1/8th oz 19.5 grs Red Dot w/209A primer you would be around 1250fps 10,700psi w/Versalite wad.

I load 19 grs of Promo all the time w/ 1 1/8th oz shot Windjammer wad Rio Primer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tim,

Lots of good advice on the previous posts. What brand powder baffle are you using? I sometimes load with my MEC9000E and I'm using a Pattern Control powder baffle. Instruction says to REMOVE ANY SPRINGS AND WASHERS BEFORE INSTALLING.

Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 losing powder