1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Erin Collins, Doubles Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Erin Collins, Doubles Champion

By NATASHA MARAR, Times-Journal

Small, orange, clay targets hurl out of trap houses at nearly 70 km/h.

Aylmer resident Erin Collins quickly aims and fires her shotgun. With a roaring bang, the saucer-sized disk shatters.

Collins was among the estimated 300 trap shooters who turned out for a
    trapshooting tournament at the St. Thomas Gun Club over the weekend.

The Canadian Ladies Handicap champion took up the sport three years ago.

"I went to the Women in the Outdoors weekend at the East Elgin Sportsmen's Association," she said. "It was such an awesome opportunity. I had never handled a firearm before then."

The St. Thomas Gun Club holds three trap tournaments each year-- the others during the May long weekend and in September.

The club offers skeet shooting and 10 trap fields. With skeet shooting the gunman knows the direction of the target, explained Earl Brown, club president, but trap shooting requires more skill and quick reflexes because the targets can exit the trap house in different directions.

Trap shooting is a sport that someone really invests time and money in, he said. But younger people are taking up the sport, including sub-junior shooter Jake Caldwell from Kippen, Ont., who won Saturday's handicap round.

Other winners included Joe Difrancesco for doubles, John Kokoris for singles, Levi VanHaverbeke for juniors handicap and Collins, who won both the women's handicap and singles.

"The competition is really stiff. There are a lot of good shooters," Brown said.

Many people turned out for the two-day competition to practise before the Ontario championship at the Hamilton Gun Club in Stoney Creek on Aug. 1.

"We'll get people from places like North Bay, Belleville, Windsor, Toronto and Hamilton," Brown said.

Lloyd Beecraft from Breslau, Ont., between Kitchener and Guelph, comes to all the trap tournaments in St. Thomas. The 25-year trapshooting veteran and former Canadian handicap champ has a 98 per cent accuracy.

"I like the challenge of hand-eye co-ordination," he said. "I'm always trying to improve myself and beat people (who shoot) at my level."

The club will hosts its next tournament, a fall team shoot, Sept. 5-7.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Erin, who is sporting some mighty fine averages in her first 3 years of shooting! All you Canadian fellas better step up your game...LOL!!!

Congratulations to the other winners as well.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Let's hear it some noise...

4. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

nothing wrong with more women an less beerbellys with baseball caps Jon

5. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Congratulations, Erin! What an accomplishment and so quickly earned in your career. As a woman and a new shooter it's encouraging to see both on the winner's podium!

I hope your family, community and club give you the attention you deserve--what an amazing accomplishment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.