1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Munson's doubles secrets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

During the doubles event at the Missouri State Shoot, while changing posts, I noticed Eric on the bench behind us. He was watching me intently.

Now, it's not unusual for Eric to try to pick up shooting tips from me, but on this day I was struggling. Upon finishing the 50, Eric approached me with some kindly advice:

"What are you DOING?? You have to SWING!! You're standing there like a fence post!"

Apparently not convinced that fencepost-itis was my only problem, Eric gave me 2 boxes of shells for the next round. Now these were the special "Federal Eric Munson Doubles Magnums" that are specially made for him.

Initially, I had trouble compensating for the extra weight in my shell holder. The added heft caused me to list about 20-degrees to the right. And upon loading my O/U, I was surprised at how heavy my gun felt.

It also was a shock to discover there was no recoil whatsoever...just like shooting .22 shorts.

I improved greatly over my first round with general-public shells, and am convinced I now have "the secret."

I'm undergoing therapy to rid my fence post-itis. It's going very well, thank you. But getting the special shells has not been successful. The guys at Federal just hang up on me. And I've noticed black-suited, mirror-glasses wearing strangers driving past my house. The Minnesota license plates and "Gold Medal" decals on the windows of the black Escalades are no coincidence, I suspect.

And all these years I just thought Eric was simply a better shot than I am.

HAH!!

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Well first off, they are only 1.183 oz of shot in those shells. That shouldn't be a significant weight variance to cause such stress to your poor old feeble alcohol ridden body of yours. I can understand Federals's viewpoint of not offering you shells and the finding of size 8.33 size shot and then the general public wanting the same. Just because they screen each and every piece of shot dropped and only load the exact size specified in Erics shells after 3 individuals mic every bb for assurance. Do you realize sir just how labor intensive such a process is and the man hours involved just to load one flat of ammo? Iam sure you think your worth it but if your shooting stance simulates someone that has a miss directed corn cob placed on/about their anatomy, what in your wildest dillusion state of existence would make you believe that your capable of similar performance?????????????

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

You could get rid of that pump-shucker, for your second tip?

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Lit, are you sure Eric wasn't staring at you only because he was remembering the night you shared together in his camper a few years ago. Remember, that was the alcohol laden night fueled by the beer you stole from my motorhome.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Lit, Lit, Lit,

Did it ever dawn on U that Eric was just trying to help? Reaching out to one in dire need is an honerable virtue.

Good luck with the therapy!

milt

6. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

hey mette56, Lit is making great improvement in some of his therapy such as sheep fedish. Here is a short clip of Lit shearing his sheep normal he would have taken advantage of the sheep but he didn't I'm proud of you Lit please hit the link above

7. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

8. mikey357

mikey357 Active Member

Hey, hey, hey!!! Let's not be talkin' 'bout SHEEP on here--it's a Ba--aa--aa-ad idea!....Mike S.

9. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

10. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

11. The Literalist

Wally, those gloves were PLANTED!! What a tough shoot...being picked on...and the butt of sick humor. And all the while I'm trying to keep Maltzie and Herman from drinking between posts.

And on poor little ol' ME!! The fact that they're picking on this timid wallflower shows how mean that damned bunch is. :(

12. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

Lit what are you talking about planted.You are a legend on the little britches rodeo circuit.I mean Hall of Fame mutton buster champion. Those youngsters all want a pair of those Denny Spurling signature series velcro sheep riding gloves

13. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

14. MN Doubles Boy

MN Doubles Boy TS Member

Can't wait any longer...

Yes, I was watching Lit shoot, I wanted to know how someone could look so good out on the line but never hit anything. I tried to help him but he was like a 17 year old kid (knows it all). I'm glad the other 3 guys on the squad learned something.

Now that you know how heavy my doubles shells are, thats why I leave one box on the ground. A guy can only take so many Advil in one day..

Also,those gloves were NOT planted, I saw them myself fall out of your shooting bag. Along with a lot of wool.

It was nice seeing you again Lit. (glad I only shoot down there once a year) Maybe when it gets a little warmer out I'll have some beer for you too....

Eric

15. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

...and for more on this ongoing saga, see "Through the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman on The Science Channel. A new episode this Saturday night features a study of "The Literalist, his Followers and Their Unearthly Practices". The REAL truth will be exposed!

(In this episode, the series title takes on a hole new meaning)...

milt :)

16. The Literalist

Doubles Boy, you won't believe it...but I actually took to heart what you said about "swinging" on the second shot. Next time out for doubles (last Sunday at Sedalia), I went out and kept telling myself to swing at the second bird.

I broke 99. No kidding. Of course will I remember next time?

By the way, T-Bone: I'm surprised they let inmates have access to the internet.

17. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I watched the Lit shoot the last 25 pair Sun. and you could've easily mistaken him for a trapshooter. He was however shooting some funny sounding pink shells.

Jimmy

18. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Gosh, I've been looking for a club that throws 200 target doubles events. Thanks for helping me find Sedalia Lit.

19. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

20. The Literalist

Pride: As much as I hate to admit it, that was a good one. :)

Oh, and have that billion-dollar motorhome of yours stocked well. You never know when I'll get a chance to...uh..."borrow" some liquid refreshment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.