1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ERAD voice call system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trappair, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappair

trappair Member

My gun club is interested in going to the ERAD system , and I am wanting opnions from those shooters who use them at their club or have used them elsewhere. All comments, good or bad, will be welcome. thanks much. Mike Ruggieri

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

This is just our experience at one small club, usually about 50-60 shooters at a registered shoot, we tried them one time and went back to the WIRED Canterburys. (We also have wireless Canterburys) It was hard to remember to get them back after the round was over and with our set (unit) the scorekeeper can't turn them off (no master control)while changing stations etc. resulting in quite a few wasted clays. They did work VERY well and we do use them when it's just members shooting practice, everyone seems to like them for practice, just have to remember to turn them OFF when you leave the line. Of the 3 sets (only 1 set owned by the club) that I'm familiar with there have been no problems, and if there were they must have been fixed promptly by the mfg. or seller. I do remember 1 private set that needed some tweaking of 1 mic because the lady has a high pitch voice & a short call (they keep that 1 separate) but it now works as well as the others.

We still have the least problems with the wired units. I'm sure you will get more and better info from others. Ross Puls

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I shot at a small registered shoot in Rocky Mount, NC last spring and really liked them.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I tested them at our gun club (Wisconsin) and really liked them. Never had a problem with them, although in the end the club did not buy them due to costs at the time. Recommended them to a large range in Omaha that I often shoot at when visiting there and they installed them at both the trap and skeet fields. Have shot there several times since they installed the ERADs, and they continue to work great. Really like they way they function, they are small, un-obtrusive to wear on the lapel and seem to recognize/function with a wide variety of voices, types of calls, etc with no problems, while at the same time, do not seem to have any problem with normal talking tripping the traps, unlike my experiences with Canterbury systems (which, in my experience, frequently trip at sounds like semi-auto bolt closings, normal speech, etc). I personally would highly recommend the ERAD system.

Jim R

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A master is available to disable the ERAD while changing stations. The system is 21st century. Everyhing else is stone age in comparison,

Phil Berkowitz

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

To add a little update to Ross's post we did send them back to the manufacturer and had a "master" set up where the scorer can turn off the receiver in the trap house between posts. We had the volume turned up on ours also. Programming is easy and when we get another 3 sets we'll be using them at registered shoots. Using these instead of the hard wired canterbury systems will save at least 1 hour of setup and another hour at teardown. There is absolutely no problem where maintenence is concerned. Only thing that needs replacing is a pair of "watch style" flat batteries and these last approximately 1-2 years even with regular use. Release speed can be programmed for fast or to match canterbury response speed. As Ross pointed out the scorekeeper has to be vigilant about not letting shooters walk off with them still clipped to their shirts. These are "field and receiver specific". You can't walk down to the next field and use it on the other receiver. Frequencies are different. NC Homegrounds uses them at all shoots on 12 fields without so much as hiccup of a problem. These are truly the next big thing in voice release technology for trap. Great product!

Dave

7. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Does anyone have a web site for ERAD where I can learn more and find out pricing??

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sorry about my lack of current info in my earlier post, Dave is our head honcho and has the latest info, it was a year or two ago that we tried the ERADS and I didn't know that Dave had gotten everything straightened out. I'm looking forward to getting more sets (units)now that I'm FINALLY caught-up to the latest. They are great as there's no more messing around shuffling mics for different yardages etc. Thanks Dave--- I'm usually a day late & a dollar short. Ross

9. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Phone number is 817-244-1761 FT.Worth Tx.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The following clubs in NC use them, Buckhorn, The NC Homegrounds, Rocky Mount, Coharie Shooting league,Rockingham County Gun Club. & Durham County GC. Honestly its the way to go. Handicap events flat fly with out having to move speakers.

Phil Berkowitz

11. 870shooter

870shooter Member

My comments are on the negative side, I dont' want to upset anyone, but I do not like them at all, nor do most of the people I shoot with. I shoot at that large club in Omaha quite frequently, I have for a few years. When they first showed them off at the club, I thought it was an interesting idea, and was willing to try them, but really did not like them then or now, I don't think they even have the canterburys anymore. My experience has been as follows:
    I really hate having anything hang off my shirt or vest.
    It is easy for the kid behind the counter to mis-adjust the voice sensitivity, when this happens they either don't throw a target or throw them constantly.
    The wire antenna that hangs down sometimes gets caught up in my hands while mounting the gun, and moving it over out of the way results in inconsistant response. I have seen people with certain types of voices or target calls have difficulty using them.
    As for some of the other comments I have read in this thread, three times just today, simply closing my 870 resulted in a target getting thrown, back to what i said about the sensitivity, and I thought part of the design was so that there was no need for a master to turn off during post changes because the device was not suppposed to pick up ambient noises from walking or light talking. I can see where it might help speed up a handicap event, and sometimes that is important, especially if there is a real big crowd, but I don't know that it would make that much difference, my experience is that most guys will move the mic stand of a canterbury before moving posts for the next guy during a handicap event so there really is not that much time lost. I have never used them at a registered event as the Omaha club never has any, but that is a topic for another thread.
    Now don't get me wrong, I think it is a great idea, and the ones i use have most likely never been updated and are a couple years, maybe 3 or 4 years old.
    I have never seen any anywhere else, but for a variety of reasons i dont get out of the state much to shoot. If they were smaller, lighter, no wire hanging down, I would be willing to re-evaluate. Yes the canterburys take a little time to put out, set up and turn on, and it is physical labor, but the ERADS I am familiar with also take some time to program and configure. Sure the wires are a pain, but personally I prefer the wireless canterburys.
    Just my thoughts,
    870shooter

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Like a few others here, the first time I used them was at the NC State. At the time I didn't give it a thought but now that I look back, I cant think of one single instance where they didn't work flawlessly for me and each squadmate. Only downside I can come up with is....several shooters (including myself) tried to walk away with the ERAD still clipped on. I like'em and prefer them to over the other more conventional systems.

13. JES

JES Member

Same here NC was the first time I used one, worked great a new line for the pullers/scorers - there was one as he called squad out he stated "return my erad's please". For handicap did not have to worry about moving speaker to right yardage for next shooter I can't think of any problems that I observed, good system. Jan

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

We are one of the North Carolina clubs that use them for registered shoots.
    Yes you do have to pin the little credit card size transmitter to your shirt or vest, and there is a thin piece of wire about 6 inches long that hangs down, and ocasionally gets in your way when you mount the gun. Some shooters
    forget to put one on when they walk up to the line, and many people forget to
    remove them when they leave the field. These are all due to shooters not being
    used to them yet. I don't know anybody who doesn't prefer them to any other
    system.

15. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

does anyone use these in very cold weather my club shoots in n.e.ohio right on the lake windchill and cold is a daily thing thanks rjm

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

we have used them here in MT and it gets cold once in a while. No problems with that. We have had some problems with shooters dropping them and breaking the battery craddles loose. Erad was always good to fix them and send them out. We did have one shoot, where a lefty had some troubles getting targets in the wind. It was extreme that day and was effecting the sound of his voice and the way the call would pic it up. In defense, we had another lefty who mearly put the call in his shirt and it never missed a beat.

We have the corded units that when the wind blows that hard, throw lots of targets. I prefer the Erads, but they are so comfy that it's easy to forget that you have them on. You don't usually get far before someone runs you down or comments that you have a call on your vest or shirt. pretty nice to walk to your yardage and not have to move the mic every post. We very seldom get extra targets unless you are very slow shooting doubles or are unaware that you left the call on and that you have earplugs in and start talking very loudly.

Rick in MT

17. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Just got back from the NC Hall Of Fame Shoot at the NC Homegrounds. We have 12 sets consisting of 5 shooter and 1 judge ERAD per field.

I belong to the Rockingham Gun Club and we have 4 sets for registered and fun shoots. Currently we have 70 members that own their own units.

Sure makes shooting a lot simpler not having to haul the speakers out. We have one trap that is ERAD only. We do have fields that we can use the either the speakers or the ERAD devices.

The picture above shows an ERAD with a protective cover.

FRedmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

erad trap

erad trap wireless speakers

erad voice calls

erad voice control

erad voice release

erad wireless voice call
shultz trapshooting voice calls
trapshooters forum erads calling