1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Equipment needed for Shotgun-Insight.com

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I need to pattern a new gun, and would like to be able to use shotgun insight.com this time, counting pellet holes is for the birds LOL. Anyways, what kind of paper works best for this? I've tried red rosin flooring paper, and shotgun insight doesn't want to pick up the pellet holes. The camera i'm using is 3.1 megapixel, is this high enough resolution? Any suggestions on how to make this software as user friendly as possible?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Perhaps some white poster boards/paper from Office Depot/Max would work better.

Eric

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Hello from Australia.
    I have a semi permanent patterning setup using Andrew's software.
    2 - 4 Megapixels is fine. Camera needs to be square on to the target area and in order to do this I use a square piece of paper and make sure there is no apparent "off square" distortion on the camera screen. I purchase either newsprint or butcher's paper which is white and cheap. It is 36" wide which is more than enough as I set up at 25 or 30yds and let the software take care of scaling to 40yds. I also use a single piece of 3/8" styrene foam board ( about 20c) behind the paper to prevent pellet bounce - most important if you have a metal plate behind. I find that paper suspended on its own does not produce really clean holes and photograph well. I do watch the lighting and find it all works better on a dull overcast day with flat light and no shadows. I use the camera on a tripod.
    Whatever you do you will still have to do a small amount of manual work on the
    JPG fixing flyers and double strike holes.
    Good luck. Barry

4. willing

willing Member

Every once in a while something jumps out at you! Barry mentions mounting your paper on a backboard so that you get nice well defined holes which the camera can pick up. This seems to solve the problem that I have been having lately using the software. Thanks Barry and Skeet man!

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

camera can pick up shotgun pellets