1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eplain a Registered Shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by illiniphil, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I am a relatively new shooter and have only shot trap recreationally for a couple of years. I am beginning to shoot more and would like to shoot registered targets. I joined the ATA and have my card but don't understand what class I begin in or the type of scores usually win each class.

As far as my own performance, shooting 100 targets I average between 85 and 95. Is this "good enough" to be competitive?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

best bet hit a MARATHON shoot and start getting some scores, these are not a competitive shoot. I go to them early in the season to knock the rust off. Its a bit more relaxing also. Locally you can shoot 500 targets for 65.00 at a marathon I usually shoot 100 singles 100/200 at yardage and if still early enough I may throw in some doubles. Then go to some smaller shoots locally. I have been happy with clasification at all the shoots I have attended. If you really want to shoot your state shoot get the required minimums and proper class. MARATHON shoots are also good for learning the flow of events and getting used to the format. just have fun

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

illoiniphil, you ask a question in the minds of many who are thinking of starting registered shooting.

Will your 85-95 average be competitive? It depends on which of those you shoot. The 85 won't be, in general; the 95 will, in general, depending on whether you are reasonably classified, and that depends on the club you go to.

What I think you are probably more worried about than "will I be competitive" is "If I show up shooting as I do, will I make a fool of myself?"

There's only one answer to that and it is "No!" You wouldn't if you were breaking 80, if you were breaking 50's. (My first year's doubles average was 52!)

Come on out. If you break a good score, people will pat you on the back and you will go home with your first trophy. I still have mine; everyone does. If you don't shoot as well as you hoped you have a new goal for next week, and a standard against which you can measure progress. But It's all "success." You went out, competed, did your best, met some like-minded people who will become your friends, had some fun. There's no other way to define success in my book.

Neil

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- You have just given us a wonderful definition of success in trapshooting.

illiniphil- At your first couple of registered shoots, the club will classify you. Possibly you will be classified higher than you should be at first. This is done until you establish a record. You will be competitive against yourself. Don't worry about what others shoot. Work hard to shoot a score that is good for you. If you shoot a 16 on your first 25, you have a benchmark. Try to shoot an 18 on your next 25 and a 20 on your last 25. It is great fun.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doesn't the rule book say you start out in B class and shoot handicap from the 20 yard line. HMB

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The rule book says that you start at the 20 yard line but that penalty classes for 16 yds and doubles can be assigned if the shoot program lists target requirements.

Morgan

7. chessney

chessney TS Member

illiniphil: This is the reason their are many people that dont shoot registered trap. If I go to a shoot and I dont have enough registered scores, they put me in penalty A. This gives me a shot in hell to even think of winning anything. I can't shoot enough registered targets in a year to get bumped to B or C class where I belong...Ziggy

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Phil - On top of being fun, a registered is where the BEST practice is! It counts for something and you are trying just that little bit harder. Regular practice in comparison is just screwing around. After over 100,000 birds I can say registered is the best and most fun part of trapshooting.

9. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Phil - To your original question, I have won D class with a 96 and B class with a 95. I have seen D class won with an 89, I have seen a 99 in D class. It all depends on the day.

Pat made an excellent, and probably most important, point. You shoot against yourself. When I came to this sport a couple of years ago, I tried to shoot against other people. I wasn't paying attention to my own shooting. My scores reflected that. That way of thinking came from all my other athletic type endeavors where you compete against others. I finally figured out trap is a different animal. You can only control what you do, and only you control the outcome of each shot. You do your part, the scores come. You focus on your score, the awards and trophies come. A revision of this is focus only on your next target. Forget the lost target you just had. Don't think ahead about what your score could be. Just be in the moment of the next target.

One other thing, registered targets are a great time. You shoot your event(s) and in between you get to spend time with great people and have great company. Scores (IMO) have nothing to do with the people and friendships you have at the club.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you cannot break them in practice, you probably can't break them in a registered shoot, though a lot of people would like you to believe otherwise ... Registered is more costly than practice because you usually pay a premium for targets and have to pay the daily fees (State and ATA) associated with registered shooting besides ... You will probably meet a lot of good to great people shooting registered but you will do that shooting practice also ... Practice, Practice, Practice, go to a shooting clinic if you get a chance to smooth the rough spots and then go and knock their socks off ... Most shooters figure they can walk up and compete and thats nonsense for the most part though it has happened and then you'd be a designated "Sandbagger" by the ones you beat ... Sort it out and pratice on cheap targets and do more of it until you can break scores that can take you to the winners circle ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Likes to shoot, So if your at a registered shoot on a pratice trap you tend to shoot about the same as a nonregistered shoot?

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Phil, the sooner you start registering birds, the sooner you'll understand the routine, and the sooner you'll understand you should be focusing on improvement not necessarily trophies. Find a buddy or two you've been shooting practice around and ask them to guide and maybe even shoot with you at the first couple of shoots. The sooner you jump in the sooner the mysteries will clear up. And, know this, you will likely never be the lowest score on the board at the end of the day and no one looks for that lowest score to embarrass the person posting it; we've all been there and done it.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you are one of the very few people who excell under pressure by all means get signed up because you are missing out in the mean time ... If you are like the average person and the additional pressure (there is additional pressure, trust me) makes you choke you need to get comfortable with what you are capable of and to what degree ... People have to be trained to function under pressure and be able to overcome or deal with the pressure with your reasoning and believing in your ability based on your desire, so until you have been trained prepare yourself to take more than a few beatings ... If you practice and become prolific enough to gain some level of confidence, take a clinic from one of the Top Guns and learn how to win by paying close attention and practice some more until you are breaking good scores on a pracice trap then go for it ... I have several $50 dollar belt buckles that cost me well over $10,000 to win and wish I has it to do all over again and get it right ... I'm not saying do not join the ATA or PITA, but I am advising you to wait until you are trained and ready, then by all means go for it ... Do not make the same mistakes most of the other shooters who are still struggling yet today have made, do it right the first time and go and get you some gold ... This is the only sport where people believe they can walk up and be a Champion without dedication, hard work, and sacrifice and its like smoke and mirrors which is not realisitic ... What ever you do, good luck but at sometime in the future think back and see who was telling you like it really is for the majority of shooters and the difference between dreams and reality ... If you pay attention you will save a bunch of money and have a lot less frustration to deal with ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Get a Phil Kiner DVD, watch it until you are tired of watching it and know it almost word for word, and then take a clinic ... You will undoubtedly be getting a head start on those who join the day you do, and never look back ...

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Phil, I guess I'm one of those idiots who would rather shoot registered targets than just practice. Most of my practice is done to set up a new gun or after I've made some adjustments to one. We are all different in what we feel comfortable in doing. I am one who cannot shoot with the same intensity and concentration at practice.

You have shot for several years and are now a member of the ATA. I think that if you'll take that final step and sign up to shoot a registered shoot that you'll find your shooting will improve at a faster pace. Just shoot against yourself, not necessarily against the whole field. It won't take you long to figure out what works for you.

I don't know what you pay for a round of practice, but for me and the places that I shoot at, I can shoot local registered shoots for about the same price that I can shoot practice.

Good luck and good shooting on whatever decision you make. If you decide to shoot some registered shoots, let us know what you think.

Have a good day.

Steve Elliott

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rick, I respect your opinion. It's just not mine. I did state that we are all different. As far as shooting practice and the concentration level being the same when shooting registered being a lame excuse. So-be-it, but it is one reason why I don't spend much money on practice rounds. Have a great time practicing. I'll do the same shooting registered targets. Good shooting--Steve

16. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I think Neil hit it right on the screws.Just do it.If you don't shoot as well as you'd like that gives you a goal.If you shoot well it is a real rush when it counts.I have been shooting registered targets for 4 years now and certainly haven't reached my goals but when the scores are recorded forever it just seems funner.When I have shot poor,that would be more often than not,I have never been laughed at unless it was invited.I think the fear of competition is one of the main reasons for lack of numbers in our sport.Try it you'll like it.

Darr

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I absolutely concentrate more on registered targets. I wish I could learn to shoot practice with more concentration. I wish I could learn to shoot ATA birds with more concentration. If I could practice with good concentration, I would practice more. So far, the 7,100 birds I have shot this year have all been registered. I will get around to a few practice targets someday and I might even shoot a league next year.

Pat Ireland

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rick- For me, registered targets are more important than practice targets or junk shooting. I am not using the term "junk shooting" as a derogatory term, just a term that included a lot of games. I very much enjoy the personal challenge of shooting a few hundred registered targets. I find very little personal challenge in shooting practice. Buddy shoots are fun, but they are a poor measure of my shooting ability. If I shoot a good score in singles, I am pleased that I did something. If I and another shooter break 10 birds and don't shoot out of turn, its fun but I have not tested my shooting skill as I would in a 100 bird event.

Pat Ireland

19. cle

cle Member

www.scsconline.org/content/ATA_Registered_Shooting/ATA_General_Info.aspx

20. cle

cle Member

Take a look at the website below for a basic explaination of ATA Registered Shooting: www.scsconline.org/content/ATA_Registered_Shooting/ATA_General_Info.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.