1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EPA slashes lead limit in air by 90 percent

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Impact on indoor range operations?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Environmental Protection Agency is setting a new health standard for lead to slash the amount of the toxic metal in the nation's air by 90 percent.

EPA officials, who were under a federal court order to set a new standard by midnight Wednesday, said the new limit would better protect health, especially children.

"Our nation's air is cleaner today than just a generation ago, and last night I built upon this progress by signing the strongest air quality standards for lead in our nation's history," Stephen Johnson, the EPA administrator, said Thursday. "Thanks to this stronger standard, EPA will protect my children from remaining sources of airborne lead."

The new limit -- 0.15 micrograms per cubic meter -- is the first update to the lead standard since 1978, when it helped phase out leaded gasoline. It is ten times lower than the current standard, which was 1.5 micrograms per cubic meter.

The new standard announced on Thursday would require the 16,000 remaining sources of lead, including smelters, metal mines, and waste incinerators, to reduce their emissions.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We must protect those children living next door to lead mines!

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

It looks like we will be importing all our lead in the future. Can a regulation on the uses allowed be far behind?

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shhhh, they might want lead emissions from guns to be reduced by a factor of ten as well.

5. Bubba

Bubba Member

More American jobs to be lost due to the EcoNazi's.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In defense of the econazi's, you never hear much about smog and acid rain any more.

Not because it wasn't real, but because the EPA put limits on the amount of particulates, sulfur dioxide, sulfur trioxide, oxides of nitrogen, etc. that power plants could emit from their stacks.

Was it expensive? Yes. Trust me, my job is to buy the equipment that does those things for the power plants we design.

Did it make a difference in the air you breath?

You bet it did.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The full press release

-------------

U.S. Air Quality Standards for Lead Now 10 Times Stronger

Release date: 10/16/2008

(Washington, D.C. – Oct. 16, 2008) EPA dramatically strengthened the nation's air quality standards for lead, improving public health protection, especially for children. The new standards tighten the allowable lead level 10 times to 0.15 micrograms of lead per cubic meter of air (ug/m3).

"America's air is cleaner than a generation ago," said EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson. "With these stronger standards a new generation of Americans are being protected from harmful lead emissions."

This decision marks the first time the lead standards have changed in 30 years. EPA strengthened the standards after a thorough review of the science on lead, advice from the Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee, and consideration of public comments. The previous standards, set in 1978, were 1.5 ug/m3.

EPA's action sets two standards: a primary standard at 0.15 ug/m3 to protect health and a secondary standard at the same level to protect the public welfare, including the environment.

The existing monitoring network for lead is not sufficient to determine whether many areas of the country would meet the revised standards. EPA is redesigning the nation's lead monitoring network, which is necessary for the agency to assess compliance with the new standard.

No later than October 2011, EPA will designate areas that must take additional steps to reduce lead air emissions. States have five years to meet these new standards after designations take effect.

More than 6,000 studies since 1990 have examined the effects of lead on health and the environment. Some studies have linked exposure to low levels of lead with damage to children's development, including IQ loss.

Lead can be inhaled or can be ingested after settling out of the air. Ingestion is the main route of human exposure. Once in the body, lead is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and can affect many organ systems including children's developing nervous systems.

Lead emissions have dropped nearly 97 percent nationwide since 1980, largely the result of the agency's phase-out of lead in gasoline. Average levels of lead in the air today are far below the 1978 standards. Lead in the air comes from a variety of sources, including smelters, iron and steel foundries, and general aviation gasoline. More than 1,300 tons of lead are emitted to the air each year, according to EPA's most recent estimates.

Since September 2006, EPA has strengthened air quality standards for lead, ground-level ozone and particulate matter.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is not the lead shot that is the problem, it is the lead in the priming compound that is released into the air. HMB

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rumor has it that California has hired an outside environmental group to check on all ranges in the State . Looking for contamination. One of the things were the residue for gun barrels when shot. They were to start in Northen part of the State. Anyone heard this?

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Maybe someone should start inventing a Catalitic Converter for our guns . Extended choke type maybe get out to 40-48 inches long .

11. fiftystr8

fiftystr8 TS Member

I have done my part! By switching to 7/8 ounce from 1 ounce, I have reuced the lead my gun puts out by 12.5%!!!!!!!

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

You are going to have to go all the way down to 1/8 oz. to meet the 90% reduction.

13. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

I find it amusing that a post that mocks the learning ability of "Black People" misspells the plural of "ability" (it's "abilities").

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Steel singles at Naperville on Sunday, you're all invited - 100% reduction.

OK... so no takers - I wonder in all seriousness what this mean for indoor ranges and their ventilation systems... any thoughts?!

Jay

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The toxicity of lead is no joke. I know a couple people that accumulated toxic amounts of Pb through working in the fire assay buisiness, messed them up permanently. PbO is the respirable form that causes all the problems. The good news is that the tighter emission limits can be complied with in a manufacturing facility such as a shot plant. The bad news is your favorite pistol range or trap range will probably be more regulated. Shot reclaimation projects will be looked at favorably by the regulators.

We would all like to live in simpler times when there was less evidence of our destructive acts on the planet but the reality is we have made a lot of nasty messes and it is time to clean our act up. I would hate for my legacy as an engineer and a shooter turn out to be that I trashed my community for generations to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.