1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EPA approves E15 fuel.

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Great. higher prices, worse economy, and unreliable operation.

All to subsidize the corn industry more.

The only bright side is corn exports will cost more. Mexico whined about this. They can pound sand. We didn't get any slack cut from them on oil.

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINN2122344520110121

UPDATE 1-US EPA OKs E15 gasoline for cars made since 2001

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:21pm IST

* More than half of vehicles on the road can use E15

* E15 to help reduce U.S. oil imports, create jobs

* Some service stations reluctant to sell E15

(Releads, adds EPA comments, opposition concerns)

WASHINGTON, Jan 21 (Reuters) - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved a boost in levels of corn-based ethanol in gasoline for vehicles built in the last decade, a move the automobile industry and food producers fear will raise costs.

The agency on Friday approved gasoline containing up to 15 percent ethanol, known as E15, for use in vehicles built from 2001 to 2006, up from 10 percent now.

The EPA already in October approved a similar increase in ethanol for cars and trucks built in 2007 and later.

"Recently completed testing and data analysis show that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks," said EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson.

"Wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more home-grown fuels in America's vehicles, this administration takes those steps."

The EPA's decision now allows E15 gasoline in more than half the cars and trucks on U.S. roads.

However, service station owners are worried that putting higher ethanol blends in older cars could lead to lawsuits if the fuel damages their engines.

The industry will also have to pay for for new blender pumps and storage tanks to sell E15, which could stall adoption of the fuel.

Livestock feeders and food makers also fear that E15 gasoline will push up corn prices because of increased demand from ethanol makers for the grain. Most U.S ethanol is made from corn. (Reporting by Tom Doggett; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whats not to like about Corn?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Bad thing is,2 cycle outboards are doomed.It'll force many to have to buy newer 4 stroke engines.Gonna kill the fishing industry if it becomes only fuel instead of an option.

Doug H.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I had to replace the catalytic converter in my 2003 Buick at 70k miles. Cost around $500. The owner of the garage(who I trust) said ethanol was a big factor in the demise of the cc. The big farming operations are the only ones to benefit from E15. Larry Evans

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I for one can't wait to pay more for a fuel that doesn't get me as far. Plus I hear the feds are going to spring for 10,000 new "blend pumps" because it would be a burden on retailers to pay for them themselves. That and the $.46 per gallon federal subsidy on top of state subsidies make a no brainer for me not to buy it if at all possible even if it does cost 3% less in Iowa.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Government subsidizing ethanol is a JOKE! Let's figure out a way to use natural gas to power vehicles. The farmers will do o.k. feeding the world.

Jim Skeel

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I prefer my corn with butter and Old Bay..and sitting between my T-Bone and my mashed taters....NOT in my gas tank

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Gene,,,,it might help if it was EFFICIENT and was CHEAPER to produce....

9. g7777777

I think we can buy ethonal for 92 cents less a gallon from Argentina or Brazil delivered here- than we can produce it?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

There goes my gas mileage again, Lost 3 miles to the gallon when the first interduced the garbage! With the higher percentage, what am I going to lose this time around?

Subsidy's and unions are a thing of the pass, time to get rid of them!

11. tj303

tj303 Member

The freakin' politicians keep approving of the this ethanol subsidy crap because they all harbor delusions of running for President and want those Iowa votes in the primary. Forty nine states pay the price of Iowa's early presidential primary.

12. g7777777

Iowa has the field of Dreams

Actually a lot of ethanol is produced in other states though

If you want to look at subsidies- look at sugar cane and rice- you might be in for a shock

Regards from Iowa

Gen

13. pdq

pdq Member

OK, I realize this is a rhetorical question, but if this new fuel is only safe to use with cars made from 2001 forward, what happens to the tens of millions of people driving cars still on the road from the '70s, '80s, and '90's?

Reports I've heard is that going from 10% to 15% can cause problems in older problems due to the higher ethanol concentration affecting things like rubber fuel lines.

Pete

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I haven't driven a gasoline burning vehicle for about 30 yrs, but when I did, I had a Ford Pinto and an F 250, and at the time it was during the last energy crisis, back in the 70's and they sold alot of ethanol in Iowa when I was there.

I never had any problem burning it and the mileage was just as good or better, and friends and family that used it never experianced any problems, why are there so many problems now?

The computer will readjust the engine to burn it won't it? MAybe we need to go back to the old stuff that worked

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In Fl, all gas appears to have some ethanol in it---my mileage is below what I got in NC, my next car will be a diesel-2012 some neat diesels may be available.

Phil Bekowitz

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When did E-85 become more expensive than regular gasoline? It used to be cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.