1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EPA Announces Start of National Lead-Safe....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jerbear, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

EPA Announces Start of National Lead-Safe Renovation Program to Protect Children and Pregnant Women EPA also strengthens protections in lead-safe program

Release date: 04/23/2010
    Contact Information: Dale Kemery kemery.dale@epa.gov 202-564-7839 202-564-4355

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 23, 2010

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced that renovations and repairs of pre-1978 housing must now be conducted using safe practices to protect children and pregnant women from exposure to lead-based paint. Almost a million children have elevated blood lead levels as a result of exposure to lead hazards, which can lead to lower intelligence, learning disabilities, and behavior issues. Adults exposed to lead hazards can suffer from high blood pressure and headaches. Children under six years old are most at risk.

“Our lead-safe program will protect children and families from lead-based paint hazards associated with renovation and repair activities in houses built before 1978,” said Steve Owens, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention. “This rule requires contractors to follow some simple and effective lead-safe work practices to prevent children’s exposure to dangerous levels of lead. Lead poisoning is completely preventable.”

EPA proposed the Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule, which requires contractors to be trained and certified in lead-safe work practices, in 2006. In 2008, EPA finalized the rule and set April 22, 2010 as the implementation date. To date, EPA has certified 204 training providers who have conducted more than 6,900 courses, training an estimated 160,000 people in the construction and remodeling industries to use lead-safe work practices.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/5f853aca6e9395478525770e00568b58!OpenDocument

Looks like no ones moving anymore, unless you already own a newer house.

Jerbear

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The problem is from unsupervised, underfed, bored children eating peeling paint chips containing lead in substandard, run down housing run by slum lords.

But, as is typical with the government, they now are going after sources of lead that are not a problem. It's obvious the feds have been treating lead as a far more dangerous substance than it is, and at times their 'science' gives it almost magical properties.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

from several years ago, ask the new york cith police department range officer how dangerous lead is--his statement was from his lead poisoing was, that he could not even reconize his own car in his driveway..

4. shooter49

shooter49 Member

Here is a copy of the compliance guide. This is just what we need to help the small guys out there.

Vic

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So it is better not to address the problem of lead poisoning caused by paint and paint waste? Truly lead poisoning from paint isn't a necessary evil - it is totally preventable. The causes and effects of lead poisoning are well known and documented, denial of the problem is idiotic.

You might see the EPA as a being wildly reactionary but it is not like they can be effective by just suggesting that people follow best practices. And yes I do work in the manufacturing industry and I do have to comply with the never ending EPA directives. Everything from air to water is regulated. But my spin on regulatory compliance is that by doing my job to the best of my ability and following enviromentally sound guidelines, I may be able to retire someday thinking that I made my living without mucking up the place for the next generation and their families.

6. bocephus

bocephus Member

Wolfram, what year was your house built?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.