1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Environmentally Friendly Trapshooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

First off, I feel it's time to consider how OUR sport could be more environmentally friendly, so I've decided to form an "EFT" (Environmentally Friendly Trapshooters) chapter at my local gun club. We shoot steel shot and reload with Bio-powder made from sunflower seeds which emits no smoke and very little noise and shoot at ONLY Bio targets.

For information about EFT, please contact Don "dverna" on this site and he'll set you and your club in the right direction. He can also advise on a heart-friendly menu for your clubs grill which consists soley of salads and Tofu entrees.

Can you think of ways for YOUR club to be more "EF"??

Tron

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Not bad my friend! Are you going to the team shoot? I can discuss some ideas with you there.

Bill

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I too wish to join the EFT'rs....

We can wear our Birkenstocks (complete with black ankle socks), drive to the club in a Prius or a Volvo for the more upscale, discerning EFT'r, then before we shoot our environmentily friendly (aka: Green Loads) shells we'll all hold hands while hugging a tree and sing a rousing chorus of Kum-By-Ya.

Geez, after writing that...I'm feeling somewhat Al Gore'ish.......

FEAB9

Curt

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I already shoot Green Dot. Does that meet the qualifcations to join?

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

We're most of the way there with you... can we be an affiliate?! I could use need some reloading data on your "flower powder"! Are you using the bio wads from DownRange?!

At one time we thought about loading rocksalt and using "ice" targets, but couldn't find a freezer to fit in the traphouse...

regards to all,

Jay

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

At our club, after shooting we spend countless hours converting that toxic evil concoction, beer to the simple natural compound of urine. I know its a tough job, but we are tough guys.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

somebody needs to put a spinner or something in front of that worm and troll slower

Bob

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Texas Bob, I thought it was the cleaning solvents that got to him. Tron may be launched, but he forgot the boat.LOL, Bob

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

1. Keg Beer but no cups .... drink right from the tap.

2. Throw targets by hand ... no powered/hydraulic machines.

3. pot ....lots of pot

4. Blow guns instead of shotguns .... can be used in reverse for #3.

10. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Far be it from me to bash a post on this site but all I can say regarding this one is Bless Your Heart!

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I often pick up hulls - particularly nice, shiny STS and Nitros - that would otherwise clog our landfills for decades to come.

And I also will occasionally pick up whole, unbroken targets so that my 5 year old daughter can shoot at them with her .22 Henry.

That's as green as I can get. Considering I shot a 500 target singles marathon this weekend...that's 500 ounces of toxic lead, 500 petroluem based wads and 500 targets (pitch and whatever other nasty stuff is in them), scattered around the earth.

Though I did try to vaporize as many of the targets as possible....

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Now, if we could only find a company that produces Trap machines that run on electicity....that would be a good thing also.

Tron

13. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I saw an article in this magazine were Down Range wads were producing one that is bio friendly. check out page 75 of the new trapshooting USA magazine, you can view it online at http://www.trapshootingusa.com/html/home.asp

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

No gas passing on Club grounds..................Roger

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tron,
    The catnip is for Kitty. No all organic things are good for you.

Don

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you finnish shooting for the day, go out to the drop zone and retreive your shot, wads, and empty hulls. This will also keep the cost of reloading down. HMB

17. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Horse pucks make good targets if you dial the spring down. Dried pig turds don’t throw well from a hand trap. Trust me on that one.

1oz. of pea gravel in a 1-1/8 wad works well with 19.4 grains of Clays. Buffer the gravel with dried lilac peddles and a pinch of saffron for a lethal shell with a pleasant bouquet.

18. msmith

msmith Member

To make the environmentalist happy I reloaded with green dot today. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.