1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Entering the USA with a firearm UPDATE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Visiting the USA with Firearm. Rule Change

In ref to ATF Form 6NIA.

UPDATE: July 10, 2012

ATF returned my call this AM.

The rule for not requiring a Hunting License or Shoot Invitation is effective July 9, 2012. You will still need to process an application!

This rule change is only for those who entry into the USA and DON'T require a VISA. If you require a VISA to enter the USA then you will still need to use the Hunting License or Shoot Invitation option.

A new form is being expedited, but ATF does not know when it will be published, as they don't control that part of the process (I check for a new form daily).

ATF will process your form without the Hunting License or Shoot Invitation, but be prepared to have problems with US Customs (my words) as it will take time to bring them up to speed, especially if your using the older ATF Form 6NIA. ATF said you can have U.S. customs call them if they have any questions. In the short term I suggest you still use the Hunting License or Shoot Invitation option until the new form is published, but that is your decision to make.

---

Also, I asked about the ability to Email the application as a PDF to the ATF for approval, instead of having to FAX, as presently the ATF will email back the approved application as a PDF attachement.

Not to be, but...

Not this year, but in the next few years the plan is in the works to be able to submit all ATF forms electronically. No longer having too FAX.

Joe Potosky
    The Lost Target

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joe. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.