1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ENTERING ANOTHER ERA????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i started shooting in 1970, i remember the shoots being well attended. at that time old timers informed me that back when they started shooting, the shoots were not well attended. they said trapshooting participation increased with the advent of reloading. they saaid trapshooting was never meant for the average wage earner. they said in europe, usually royalty just participated, and in our country usually just professional type people. they said when reloading took hold, the average man, could afford to shoot in competition. in wisconsin, i saw shoots start to dwindel when we no longer enforced a 50 milw radius rule. we had some clubs have ata shoots almost every weekend, this causing attendance to be smaller too. regardless, fast forward to the present time, i was talking to another old timer yesterday, he said he has seen our sport go full circle. he said our sport will survive, but attendence will be going back to where it was years and years ago. what do you think, are we headed back to our roots in the shooting sports where participation will be like it is in europe?
    steve balistreri

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What my buddy, Ed, says has always been true. There's been a cycle of new shooters coming in while others are leaving for various reasons and finances have always been a part of the formula. Even in the 70's, I saw undisciplined fellows lose family, house, and job over trapshooting and others with stables of polo ponies on every continent come to join up. Currently I see folks that you'd think might not want to get into the expensive game coming every week and trading guns willy nilly and see those that can afford to pay my fees as well as their own that only come for the monthly recreation moment. I do agree that we're bound to lose more than usual at the moment but there's always some new folks to take their place. And, I like to think we'll survive it all if the whole idea of personal and public shooting games doesn't get outlawed.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Four words:

Rural Heritage.

Video Games.

We're losing it. There was a news article just the other day that HUNTING and FISHING licenses are down 10~20% in many states. It's becoming a revenue problem for them. In many cases, their funding model is set up in such a way that hunters and fishermen bear the entire burden (through license fees) of supporting the DNR programs. With a drop in license revenue, states are beginning to wonder if all that revenue can still come only from hunters and fishermen, or if they need to find other sources of funding.

I realize there are many "suburban-raised" type people who wander in and out of the sport, and many of them claim they "love Trapshooting." But, they come and go. Many of them would be just as happy on a golf course, or other activity (fill in the blank), so once the cost goes up...they're gone.

In the "Era of the Suburbs," most of the people who moved there, originally came from rural areas. They grew up shooting things every day. They simply chose to live in suburbs because of convenience, after they got careers and families, but they were still rural people at heart.

Now we're in an era where most people GREW UP THERE, and have never known life anywhere else. It affects politics, recreation, everything. Shooting guns isn't in their blood; it's something that has to be "marketed" to them.

And, as soon as they find something they like better - they're gone.

4. smp005

smp005 Member

Steve,

I don't participate in the discussions here very much - I guess I don't have much to say most of the time..

I'll tell you what I see happening: I am one of the operators of Copley Trap Range near Akron, Ohio. I just had this same discussion with several customers yesterday at the range.. Yes, we are seeing a reduction in the volume of shooting , especially registered shoots. We have a core group of shooters that come every Saturday year round. Last year many of them would shoot maybe 5-6 rounds, this year more like 3-4 rounds and so far this year (and yes, it's early) registered attendance is down. That being said - we are always busy. All 3 traps run all day - how? We cater to the new shooters - the fathers & sons, mens church groups, husbands & wives... Our focus is on bringing new shooters into shooting and we make sure they do not feel intimidated and receive quality coaching and instruction. This has been a real boon for us! I would rather have 50 shooters on a saturday shoot 4 rounds than 25 that shot 8 rounds.

If a father brings his son out and they both shoot 2 rounds they have spent roughly $35.00 and get to spend time outdoors together. Around here that is close to the same cost as going to the movies - maybe even less..

We do have club guns which we allow them to use for free if they don't have guns as well..

I think like life, trapshooting will come full circle but it's up to us the ensure the sport grows. It will most likely change - that is inevitable, but I believe it will be around for a long time to come..

The general consensus among the range operators I know and many ATA shooters is that small local registered shoot attendance will go down - shooters will practice and shoot enough to maintain target counts but the real registered shooting will be at the big shoots. The small clubs will see more attendance (thus more profit) in supporting practice, fostering new shooters and non-registered money shoots (Calcuttas, protectors..)

For those of us who like to shoot ATA (I have 3, myself, son and daughter) I guess we have to set our priorities.. I know I've cut back in other areas and work extra hours / weekends to pull togther the extra $$$$ to support this habit .. :)

Scott Powell

Copley Trap Range

5. senior smoke

Scott Powell- i found your response to my thread interesting and informative. please consider particpating more often with your comments. infact, so far we have had good comments made by everyone. i personally love this sport, most of my friends are in the shooting sports. as all of you know, shooting is just not the act of pulling a trigger. it is the friendships that have been made throughout the years, along with the story telling etc. we are in the greatest fraternity in all of sport, in my opinon. no matter where you go in this great country, go to any shoot, you will always find a friend that will help you at any gun club.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The economy has to take its toll sooner or later, trapshooting being something that is not needed to survive but is more of a luxury will be effected by the effects of the economy weather its up or down so will trapshooting be ... The housing market has nothing to do with trapshooting, if you believe that you are in for a rude awakening ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Steve, trapshooting is primarily being effected by the cost of lead/shooting components, target increases and gasoline. To shoot a registered shoot ( all three events - no options ) will conservatively cost the average shooter just over $160, give or take a few dollars based on geographics, gasoline/drive distance, food and or if he or she is reloading. If you do that once a week for the month that's around $640. If you shoot Saturday and Sunday double it! Now take that approximately 6 months ( April - September ) That is quite a bit of disposable income for the average U.S. worker. Add on to that a husband & wife, a parent & child shooting and the costs multiply quickly!

We will continue to see a slide in attendance at registered shoots, state shoots, baby grands and the grand. I read the Southern Grand was down 22% and the Florida State Shoot 4%, which a large portion of the shooters were from out of state. I suspect we will see a slide in the numbers of our SCTP program. Parents only have so much disposable income to give! We know that at least two states are losing or have lost thier shooting homegrounds. In my state of Wisconsin our association is still trying to find avenues to build a homeground, which economically may not be a sound business venture at this time!

What you will see is a core of shooters that will continue to shoot but shoot closer to home or simply reduce the number of times they shoot a month. We may see more registered shooters cut back and shoot leagues until we see a shake out in lead and or gasoline prices. In the end shotgun shooting of all venues ( trap/skeet/sporting clays etc ) will struggle until the economy gets stronger and shooters have more disposable income to spend on the weekends. Thanks

Rick

8. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Great thread and I will add a little to it also. I just started shooting, and have been shooting for going on my 2nd year. I have never shot ATA as 1 I was never invited, 2 I just don't see the point when I shoot for fun. This question has more to do with all shooting and not the ATA so I will tell you what I see. I have a 5 year old daughter and wife have that have no interest in shooting. I hope to change the daughter but I give up on the wife. Now with that said for me to go shooting, I leave the family and go out by myself and am gone almost 4-6 hours as I need to travel. As things get more expensive, and we are getting hit from a lot of directions here, I am actually thinking maybe for my family I can't do this anymore. It's too expensive, takes too much time from my family and it's not going to improve anytime soon. Shooting isn't a family activity anymore it's a single person activity and that doesn't always work well for a healthy family environment.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

drh08,

If you want your wife to shoot, have someone else get her into the game.

Frankly, I see many guys come to the club to get away from the family. Good for you that you feel it should be a family outing - we need more ladies and kids in the game.

Don

10. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

DRH-Is that why my family life is the way it is? I'm always gone shooting or trying to make some more money to do more shooting. LOL JD

11. senior smoke

drh08- i read your comments to my thread with particular interest. in 1979 i got cancer. my daughter at that time was a 1 year old. my son was born in 1982. when i went to area gun clubs i forgot all about my health problems. i spent a tremendous amount of time, reading any article on trap that i could find, as well as attending every trap event i could find, staying out at the gun club from morning to night. my wife raised my two children almost by herself because i was always at the gun club. one day i woke up, my kids were all grown up with families of their own. over the years i appologised to my wife and kids. they were nice enough to say, they understood why i needed to be at the gun club. regardless, i carry lots of guilt. i would recommend to any new or veteran shooter, the shooting sports can be addictive. i have seen shooters lose their family, house, jobs, over pulling a trigger. my priories in life use to be God, Family, Job, trapshooting. in reality it use, trapshooting, trapshooting trapshooting trapshooting. it is now, God, Family, Job, trapshooting is down the line where it should be. after ready your thread, you seem to have your head on straight. it took me to many years to mature, and realize what is important in life.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.