1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

### Enought Choke?###

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by valley1, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valley1

valley1 TS Member

0   0   0

Using a perazzi is .o16 enough choke for 16 yd line?I shoot Winchester AA 1-1/8 oz. 7-1/2 Trap load.If so how far back could i go using this set-up.
    Thank you

2. valley1

valley1 TS Member

0   0   0

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Valley1..... In my opinion, no, .016 is not acceptable from the 16yd line, in singles, and certainly not as effective as a tighter choke at ANY yardage beyond that. The .016 may be fine for the first shot on doubles, but will only get you in trouble from the 16yd. line over the long haul. It will contribute to making you a careless, sloppy shooter. It has been my experience, after doing a considerable amount of patterning with various chokes, that the best, all around choke, from the 16 back to the 27yd line, IN MY GUN, is a light full choke at .030". Your gun may be different in how it digests certain loads, but, a good rule of thumb is to shoot as tight a choke as you can to get good, solid breaks from whatever yardage you are shooting. A tighter choke will make you a much better and more precise shooter, not a lucky one that chips and chunks targets using an open choke that is less than ideal for the conditions, and yardage, you are shooting.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

#4 choke is probably on the border line for trap. I shot #4 choke more than once without knowing it. I got 23, 24 as usual though.

While I was shooting it, I didn't see any differences in how the birds were breaking, but I'm not sure I'll do it again if I knew.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I agree with Dan. According to reliable studies you want a choke that will put at least 75% of the pellets in a 30" circle at the distance you break the target approximately 35 yards for an average shooter from the 16 yard line. A more open choke will give a weaker core without contributing anything to the outer fringe.

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

0   0   0

Upon reading this and another thread,I followed a link on the other thread.The article stated that the Modified choke is the premier choke for trap shooting.I,myself have used a Carlson Full choke,but,by browning standards it is less than full.So,I guess I consider it a light full at .710,since browning considers .715 a full choke.With that all said,I wonder what is optimum.Seems ,technically if you wanted to break tatrgets with the same effect you'd have to change chokes at eack yard marker,I don't think there are enough different constrictions to go from the 16 to the 27,so some where's you'd have to double up un the choke used.Again,I specified to break the tatrgets specifically the same at each yardage.Not going to Hi jack thread,but I also wonder,does choke constriction increase pressure,technically,I believe so,but probably too minimal to be concerned about.

Doug H.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

0   0   0

I doubt that choke constriction would increase pressure, as the pressure has dropped considerably by the time the ejecta reaches the choke.

John C. Saubak

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

0   0   0

I did some pattern work about 3 years ago. Here is what I found for my gun and my ammo and my chokes.

The question was at what yardage using what choke would I have an average of 3 pellets in a target sized space within a 24 inch circle.

Light Mod, 0.015 constriction - 33 yards

Mod, 0.020 constriction - 35 yards

Improved Mod, 0.025 constriction - 37 yards

Full, 0.030 constriction - 38 yards

Extra Full, 0.040 constriction - 41 yards.

Charlie

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

My first shot in bunker.. with 24 gram is a #4 .016 or #5 .020.. I'm sure that's every bit as hard as a ATA 16 yard target..and it works well..but as Trap2 said..It's easy to get sloopy.. In my SBT ATA guns.. I shoot .032 to .038.. Leave no doubt.. love the inkballs.. Depending on how fast you shoot..as Dan said.. the hits will not be inkballs.. but I'd think a well centered shot of 1 1/8oz.. would be effective to the mid 20's.. depending on how fast you shoot.. For 27 yard.. a #7 to #8 .028/.032 is really all you need.. Again.. get on a pattern board and see what you really are throwing.. I've had .016's shoot like .025 or .008.. You'll never know until you read the pattern paper..

10. valley1

valley1 TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks everyone

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I've tired it lots of time in registering half a million targets. It's not enough. Improved modified is.

Neil

12. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

0   0   0

I dont know if this will help you but I use a beretta optima bore 391 with a "improved modified" Comp-N-Choke for all my shooting in trap. I just change shot size the farther I go back. I like #8 for 16 to 24yd. #7.5 back to 30yd. #6 to 40yd. #5 past 40yd. All yardage behind the trap. I shoot a lot of games at local shoots,lots of fun.
    I would say you would just need to shoot different chokes to see what works for your gun and loads till you find the confident combo for you.

13. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

0   0   0

Some Perazzi guns shoot real tight compared to other guns shooting the same amount of choke(your gun might work pretty good), but you really need a #6 Perazzi choke(.024) or #7(.028) to get best results from the 16 back to the 21 yard line and beyond. You'll have to work at learning the proper techniques to score well with tighter chokes. Learning precision shooting is the key ingredient to improvement of your trap scores(see golf swing). You will probably reach a score plateau with the more open gun because of holes in your patterns causing mystery misses and fewer 25's. Good luck anyway and pattern the gun at appropriate yardages to see what you are dealing with. Jim B

14. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Gary,

Thank you!

Rick in Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.