1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ENOUGH LOAD FOR SHORT YARDAGE??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

How much speed do you need to shoot handicap from 21-23 yards? Are the 1&1/8 oz loads at 1145 fps good enough? I like these from the 16.

What about the 1 oz. loads at 1185? Would they be better than the above?

I appreciate your opinions. Jack

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The 1145s have many winners from 27....

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I shoot nothing but 1145 fps from handicap and second shot of doubles. I also shoot 1 oz. from the 16 yrd in all shoots that count but practice with nothing more than 3/4 oz. loads.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I too have many buds that use 1145 fps shells successfully for long yardage let alone short.......breakemall

5. KS user

KS user TS Member

I don't care what yardage i shoot, i want all the soldiers i can get in that wad chasing that target.JMO. Brandon

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

1145fps 1 1/8 oz loads are plenty for the yardage you speak. Heck, Devon Harris (27yard shooter) even pocketed $100 large last year at the Grand shooting such a shell.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here's a question. Will the pattern be bigger with more shot? I don't think so.

So with that in mind if the target is in the pattern even 7/8's oz will break the target just as 3 oz of shot will. On the other hand if the target is out of the pattern even 1 lb of shot won't break it.

Use what gives you the most confidence is the correct answer.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

So does anybody ever shoot those 3 dram 1&1/8 oz. loads? (1200fps)

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Too light Martin. I like the 1250 silver bullets....

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Two things I can tell you about the 2 3/4 dram x 1 1/8 load. First - they will grind targets into ink spots from distances well beyond what you are shooting and Second - they recoil quite a bit less than the 3 dram loads which is going to help your shooting more than anything else.

The light 1 Oz loads kick even less but there isn't usually a price break for them when buying factory loaded ammo so most guys just get the 1 1/8 Oz loads. (me included)

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You would be surprised how well lower velocity loads pattern at short yardages. I use enough powder to keep pressures up for a complete powder burn. Now beyond the 27......Thats a whole different ball game.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.