1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlightened in Houston

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ltctpu, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltctpu

ltctpu Member

Was at the local gun shop here in Stafford Texas today when I overheard a revelation that opened my eyes to why I have been missing some targets of late. As I was looking over the counter to see if they had any ammo I'd be interested in, I overheard an elderly lady and her husband ask the clerk, if the shop had a BT 99.  As you might suspect that perked my interest (I can't shoot one worth a darn but they interest me), so I continued to eves drop. Once the clerk had looked up the model and lo behold realized that said model was a trap gun, he began to use his new found knowledge to educate the uneducated by explaining the differences between a trap and skeet gun.  As I listened to him explain that a trap gun shot a vertical oval pattern the scales fell from my eyes and as he explained that a skeet gun shot a horizontal pattern I realized I had discovered the solution to my shooting problem.  Some how I have inadvertently switched my screw in choke tubes between my two guns and now the chokes are out of time, my trap gun must now be shooting horizontal patterns and my sporting clays gun must have the vertical chokes. So startled was I by this revelation I forgot to ask the clerk if I could buy some of those vertical shooting chokes, but I was wishing I had a BS card to give him for his Better Shooting tip.
    Regards
    Tom

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Some of the most abominable BS I have ever heard was from employees of gun stores. Not to mention some of the wierdest people.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You'll hear your share on public forums...%-)

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

That is sooooooooooooo funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny!

Hauxfan!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap guns have a built in vertical lead, vertical pattern. Skeet guns are flat shooting, horizontal pattern. Makes sense to me. HMB

6. ltctpu

ltctpu Member

Oh HMB I must must at admit I was a skeptic at first when I heard the clerk start his explanation because I was leaning on my meager knowledge of POIs and the effect my swing had on shot string. I had though that my trap gun shot a bit high in 60/40 pattern and that my sporting clays gun gun shot a 50/50 pattern. It was his air drawn pictures of the patterns that each gun shot that were truly revealing. When his hands air drew that vertical oval picture of a 3 foot high and a foot wide pattern that I became enlightened. The sadness in this was the elderly lady who had BT99 written on note card was not ready for this revelation and she and he husband quickly departed the store with out understanding.
    Regards
    Tom

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Tom why should they understand the guy explaining it to them didn't either and to tell you the truth neither do I.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content