1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlighten uncle buzz on 45 Long Colt brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by crusha, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

So...what's the deal with some 45 LC cases having the "hump" inside the base above the primer pocket? I recently prepared to begin to reload this caliber, and I guess I never noticed this before.

The one on the left has it...and both are Remington Peters cases. (It doesn't correlate to brass or nickel composition within my batch of brass, for those who might be wondering).

Is one kind better for shooting horse thieves than the other?

???
    [​IMG]

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like to shoot my horse thieves with a .44 Russian or .44 S&W special in a break action Schofield type revolver.

I suspect that the "hump" is there to reduce case capacity which may be beneficial for certain target loads in which the powder charge does not adequately fill the case.

Ed Ward

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's ^^ a discussion about them, below is a second discussion. Good luck.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-7474.html

Bob Falfa

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Called the "Super Balloon". Low pressure hulls are made in this manner, although some high pressure loads have been offered in such hulls.

5. Shooting Coach

Another perspective on hulls and their evolution.

The balloon style hull is very thin near the rim.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

try this.

7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

The "hump" cases are called balloon-head cases. They are old and not as strong as the newer cases. Mike

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

If I put them in a gun with a Bisley grip...do they still go off?

9. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Very good information boys. I have been around a long time and did not know this about 45LC cases. Good stuff! Thanks.

10. Shooting Coach

Federal used the Super Balloon design for their 40 brass when the round first came out. A new term was created because of this. "Glock Kaboom", although Glock is not the only 40 that would not tolerate this ammo. High Pressure loads in Low Pressure brass is a recipe for disaster.

The photo shows 2 40 cal cases, one is the old style Federal and the other is the new style. It is hard to understand why an ammo maker would do this. To this day they have never admitted they blew up a bunch of guns.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well...I sure would like to get my hands on the bastard who came up with the idea of those "small primer" 45 acp shells that have been hanging up the deprime punch of my loader so bad!

12. Shooting Coach

Small primers make sense for the 45. At its inception, the same tooling that the 30/06 was made on was used for the 45 case head.

I despised the SP brass when it came out, but ammo loaded with this primer is more accurate.

I still despise sorting brass by headstamp, THEN BY PRIMER SIZE. Oh well, it has to be done.

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Thank God for Starline Brass. I refuse to go along with this "Small Primers in 45 acp" foolishness! For what components cost...take your incremental continuous improvement, and either use it to give us something genuinely useful...or shove it!

14. Shooting Coach

Stronger case head, better accuracy. Incremental improvements ARE useful.

Aren't we cranky today, Buzz?

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shooting Coach hit the nail on the head for the balloon cases.

A word of caution. They should only be loaded to blackpowder pressure levels. Don't try to jack the pressures up. Use the modern solid head cases for that.

BTW, not shown in Shooting Coach's chart and photo are "inside primed cases". These look like the folded head case, but there is no visible primer. They look more like a big rimfire. The base of the case is so thin on the inside primed cases that it will readily dent from a firing pin, setting off the hidden primer inside. I have examples of these in .45 S&W (sometimes called .45 Schofield or .45 Short Colt), .45 Colt, and .45-70 Govt. All of my examples have cases made from copper, not brass. The 45-70 version was notorious for being sliced through by the extractor on the Trapdoor Springfield.

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Nice sixgun Barfin.

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

FWIW, The 230 grain FMJ Blazer .45acp, the aluminum case ones, have SP primers in them. Been using them for years, and is the most accurate factory ammo I've ever shot out of my Sig 220.

Wayne

18. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

[​IMG]

My 1894 Marlin chambered in 45 Colt -- I don't think you could ask for a more handy but devastating brush gun!

Kiv

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Kiv, I have one of those Marlin 1894 Cowboy Guns in 45 Colt as a companion to my pair of Schofields. Used to used them for cowboy shoots with blackpowder. Sweet shooting rifle.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, it's not exactly a .45 LC, but, it uses shortened .45 "Cowboy" special brass...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

45 cowboy special loads