1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Engraving question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A friend who has taken up engraving asked if I had a gun that she could try her hand on.

I sent her the receiver of a Mod12Y that had gotten wet and slightly rusted.

This is what she sent back to me (her 1st gun engraving job ) ... and would like to know what a job like this is worth.

I would like some honest opinions for her.

Thanx in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Very nice:

I am not an expert, but I believe your friend may need an FFL to take guns in overnight.

Be careful out there

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yeah ... but will get better pics later.

4. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

It's alot like that First Hotdog your Grand Father Bought you at your First Ball Game...not worth a whole lot...But Priceless to Him. It being her First..she should keep it..Priceless. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

A M12 takes engraving so nicely because of the flat sides and really looks good when engraved.

On the left side the scrolls and leaf work look really good because they are small and in clusters. The engraving on the right side is larger and seems out of place, especially under the port. If the scrolls and leaves were smaller and there were more of them, in my opinion, it would look as good as the left side. I don't like the border on the right side, too squared off. A broken border or a small curves would look better.

This is only my opinion, I can't engrave. The lady who did this is very talented. I would let her engrave any M12 of mine. Actually, the right side engraving reminds me of engraved M12's of the very early years.

Wayne

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could she engrave a triggerguard? I have a new K-80 blued one that is plain. Bulge.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It's in the detail. Looks good so far, but maybe there should be more detail in the leafs and things. That would fill in the voids and scrolls. That is where the engravers earn there money, and reputation for that matter. I would think that she has the ability by the work she has done thus far, but maybe did not have the time. Keep it up, it looks like she has a bright future in engraving. As far as worth, you would have to see what others are getting for engraving.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

I can't say what it's worth, but a lot of the factory stuff was not as nice. Just out of the gate, she's done well.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

TTT

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's nice work. How did she learn to do the work, schooling, friend, etc?

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dave has a great question. The answer would be interesting if we could get it.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OK ... so go to

http://www.toolengraver.com/

She is also a member for Firearms Engraving Guild of America (FEGA) and all her teachers are also members of that guild.

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If she'd like another model 12 to work on let me know, I won't charge her anything!

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Very nice and interesting Ahab, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.