1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Engraving Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Hawkes, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I would look to Dennis Devault for help.

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Generally adhesives are not used. The engraver would back-cut the edges of the receiver and the inlay would be held by these edges.

I think that a good engraver should be able to fix this properly.

Cheers

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Because it has become hardened, it cannot easily be pushed back into the undercut boarder. It could be softened and you could try this again. Some raised birds have been attached to guns with solder but this can be tricky. I think I would try a good epoxy.

Pat Ireland

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If the inlays are sterling, they can be annealed to dead soft if desired. You may want to check with another engraver for your repairs.

5. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Sorry to say, I don't own any engraved or inlaid guns, but I'll toss out some info that some might find interesting. This coming January 28-30 is the Firearms Engravers and Gunmakers Exhibition in Reno, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer bunch of gunfolk in one spot any other time or place. I guarantee there will be more than one person there who could fix this problem, and anyone who attends will have a heck of a good time. Nope, I don't have any interest in this exhibition/convention other than I try to go every other year or so just for the absolute fun of it.
    More immediately relevant to the original question, you might visit their website (above) and find someone who could deal with this issue and do it well.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

OldRemFan- The inlay must be pure silver or it would be much too hard to shape properly.

Pat Ireland

7. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Pauline Muerrle a former Winchester engraver might be able to help you, she may have engraved the gun when it was new.

www.paulinemuerrle.com

Thank's, Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.